Today, Justice League #1 arrived in comic book stores, featuring a whole new costume for many of the heroes, including an underwear-on-the-outside-less Superman. Coincidentally, we finally get detailed images of Superman’s costume from the upcoming Zack Snyder Man of Steel movie that is pretty revealing.

We know Zod is the big bad, and I’ve heard that the CGI suit wearing dude Henry Cavill is fighting might just be a CGI version of the villain.  Also, if you look closely, you can see where Superman’s cape is attached to the suit, and considering that it is missing in most of these images, I wonder if we are going to see some CGI cape replacement in the fight scenes.

via Superherohype

SOLICITATIONS: Dynamite Entertainment announces Silver Star

ART APPRECIATION MOMENT OF THE DAY: Avengers Assembled!

1. August 31, 2011 at 9:18 am — Reply

Really not crazy about the ‘trunkless’ costume…Seems visually unbalanced.

2. J Michael T
    August 31, 2011 at 9:28 am — Reply

I don’t think it’s bad at all. We know it will look better in post so it’s got potential. No issues for me :-)

3. websnap
    August 31, 2011 at 9:45 am — Reply

Looks awesome, and I’m not even a Supes fan!

Dude got buff, too! Liking all this so far.

4. August 31, 2011 at 9:48 am — Reply

I like it. He looks like a “Superman”, thats for sure…

5. JacinB
    August 31, 2011 at 9:49 am — Reply

Overall, I think it looks really good and I’m surprised by how much Cavill really looks the part. I am, however, hoping that they’ll CGI on some external underpants, too, because that part of it just isn’t workin’ for me.

6. Antonio Sanciolo
    August 31, 2011 at 10:13 am — Reply

really like it. Underpants or not, they’ve made it work.
    That tesselated mesh that’s the base texture is very good at highlighting musculature too. Looks light and natural and yet not too lycra-ish!

7. Gary
    August 31, 2011 at 10:19 am — Reply

Fear the codpiece! Maybe that can calm that down with a little CGI too… a bit too prominent if you ask me.

• J Michael T
      August 31, 2011 at 10:51 am — Reply

He’s just ‘super’ in every way …

8. Michael
    August 31, 2011 at 10:38 am — Reply

I don’t like all the schmutzy-looking stuff. Reminds me too much of the horrible new Spider-Man movie outfit.

And it need a belt. Red with a yellow buckle/”S” symbol/whatever.

• SkrullBryan
      August 31, 2011 at 11:35 am — Reply

Yes, I always thought the right type of belt (red and yellow) could easily break-up the blue and replace the trunks.

• DMC
      September 1, 2011 at 5:35 pm — Reply

Not that I had a problem with the belt in the past but it really wouldn’t work with this design. IMO a belt is not an essential part of a Superman costume.

9. Jeff
    August 31, 2011 at 10:52 am — Reply

Dear Mr. Snyder,

Captain Marvel, Jr. called. He wants his schtick back, right down to the gauntlets on this costume.

• wdchefdave
      August 31, 2011 at 1:10 pm — Reply

Captain Marvel Jr. or Dr. Fate without the helmet… I’ll give this a chance.
      But, since the stellar panty-hosed version of Green Lantern, I feel I’ll have to forgive the “Daredevil” on The Incredible Hulk TV one-shot!
      I know that they are trying to put a “Krypton” spin on him… but this costume is the most classic of all time! (Or shall we have Jesus walk around in a “hoodie”?)
      Hulk without purple pants?
      Wonder Woman with pants?
      OOPS! That’s been done.

10. BigPapaRama
    August 31, 2011 at 11:38 am — Reply

He does look good as Superman.

11. Allen
    August 31, 2011 at 12:50 pm — Reply

Missing something without the trunks. It’s just a visual design thing.

Also, he looks like a beast. Definitely not the soft, streamlined Supes of Donner/Singer. This guy is jacked!

12. August 31, 2011 at 1:35 pm — Reply

Cavill is far too hot for me to care either way. Less is more.

• August 31, 2011 at 1:38 pm — Reply

Wait… why did they decide to go with the golden age “S” shield design? Not a complaint, that’s just an interesting choice.

13. lapis2
    August 31, 2011 at 2:27 pm — Reply

I really dont like this costume. If the movies good itll make up for it though.

• lapis2
      August 31, 2011 at 2:30 pm — Reply

it looks to me that the muscles are built into the costume as well. which im not liking either

14. SomeDude
    August 31, 2011 at 4:38 pm — Reply

I think it looks good. Dare I say better with out the cheesy trunks?

15. Xybec Katta
    August 31, 2011 at 5:05 pm — Reply

I showed this to my wife (who doesn’t like comics and makes fun of the outside underpants) and she said she takes it all back, put the trunks back on. I guess we will see how the general public views this change.

16. Brainy Pirate
    August 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm — Reply

My goodness, what beautiful hair!!!

Is that costume fabric or something more solid (like a plastic mold)? I never liked the underoos, but this armor does make the bulge really obvious — and I doubt we’re supposed to be thinking of Kal’s crotch while he’s saving the world…

• Brainy Pirate
      August 31, 2011 at 10:14 pm — Reply

But I would like to see a butt shot….

17. ikdks
    September 1, 2011 at 9:44 am — Reply

…I’m a star…I’m a star…I’m a star…I’m a star…I’m a star…I’m a star…I’m a star…

18. September 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm — Reply

The muscles are built into the costume you guys. I’m sure that Henry Cavill is in great shape but veins don’t show through something as thin and tight as spandex, especially a dark colour. Since that costume’s going to be considerably thicker than that, I’m pretty sure we’re not looking at his real muscles here. Having said that I do like the idea of having a Superman who’s anatomy is consistent with the comics.

As far as the red underwear goes, I always associated it with Superman and would have liked to have seen it stay, but deliver a good Superman movie and all is forgiven.