Breaking today is news that Henry Cavill has been cast as the Man of Steel in the Zack Snyder Superman film.

“In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen,” Snyder said in a statement. “I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield.”

The details of the plot are still relatively secret, though a few months ago we shared the rumor that the story might be very similar to a Mark Waid tale featuring Clark Kent/Superman traveling the world looking for his place in it.

The new Superman movie is expected to arrive in theaters during the 2012 holiday season.

via Variety

REVIEW: Ultimate (comics) Spider-Man #152

RETRO REVIEW: Nash #2 (August 1999)

1. Thenewnumber2
    January 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm — Reply

I approve so far, pending in character pics. He seems to have a good presence.

2. Splicer261
    January 30, 2011 at 3:53 pm — Reply

No idea who he is

But i know visually the movie would be spectacular under Zack Snyder and Nolan would watch over the story, so the plot should be good.

Have to wait for the trailer to see what Supes ends up looking like!

3. gilberto nieves
    January 30, 2011 at 4:55 pm — Reply

hope it’s good but tom welling should’ve been offered the chance to play the role.

• Matthew
      January 31, 2011 at 1:27 am — Reply

im glad they picked someone who can act rather than tom welling.

• January 31, 2011 at 6:57 am — Reply

Makes no sense as they both do well. But then this is the internet and you’ll find all kinds.

4. hectorbustnuts
    January 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm — Reply

An interesting choice.

He’s not struck me as a terribly strong actor in the first season and a half of “The Tudors” that I’ve seen (in fact he almost sounded Australian which had me wikiing him within a couple of episodes).

Decent, but not earth-shattering.

He’s got the jaw-line though…which is what I think the casting agents for Supes seem to go for over actual acting ability.

5. TaZ
    January 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm — Reply

Somebody put that boy in the gym fast if he’s going to wear the blue and red tights. “Find his place in the world…” Oh, for crying out loud. That was one thing about the Superman character…he KNEW his place in the world because Ma and Pa Kent had taught him what it meant to be human and what it mean to be a hero.

• hectorbustnuts
      January 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm — Reply
      • JacinB
        January 31, 2011 at 9:03 am — Reply

I’d say he could stand to add some bulk. He’s a little wiry.

• litanyofthieves
          January 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm — Reply

I hate to break it to you guys, but only a professional bodybuilder could actually achieve the bulk Superman is drawn with these days. It literally would take longer than the filming of the movie to bulk him up, even with steroids.

• Damascus
            March 31, 2011 at 12:06 am — Reply

Chris Hemsworth was able to bulk up to the point of being nearly too big for his suit. This guy could bulk up a bit more if that’s what they want out of him.

I don’t care for one, I just want the movie to be good. They could give the role of Clark Kent to DJ Qualls and I’d be fine as long as the movie was good.

6. January 30, 2011 at 9:45 pm — Reply

Pretty perfect. He’s a fantastic actor, we have a visually respectful comic director, Nolan producing….just wow.

Let’s just hope that they just scan or skip the origin story, and remember than Superman equals HUGE action, and try to top every recent Sci-Fi flic. Oh and no HORRIBLE JMS Superman Earth One GN ties.

7. January 31, 2011 at 6:34 am — Reply

Fantastic news. I loved Routh, but couldn’t be happier about Cavill. Snyder directing just about guarantees lots of action and now we have an actor that we know can pull off the drama. Fantastic news.

8. Brad Kalmanson
    January 31, 2011 at 9:04 am — Reply

Does anyone know if the new movie is supposed to be in continunity with the other films, as Superman Returns is?? Also, I liked Brandon Routh. He made the character his own, but threw in subtle hints of Chris Reeve.

9. TVsBryanD
    January 31, 2011 at 10:09 am — Reply

I always felt that Brandon Routh was thrown under the bus.

Hopefully, this will result in a new Superman franchise. Not one paying homage to 1978 and Christopher Reeve.

• January 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm — Reply

I always felt that Brandon Routh was thrown under the bus.

He got paid, he moved on… It happens in acting.

• Damascus
      March 31, 2011 at 12:09 am — Reply

He always felt like a placeholder to me. He was very very bland in Superman Returns. I don’t blame him, ultimately I think it was the story that failed on him, but I still felt like he wasn’t engaging at all.

10. Slappy
    January 31, 2011 at 5:53 pm — Reply

It doesn’t matter how big he is. The one true Superman doesn’t wear a costume. He doesn’t even have powers. The inportant thing is whether he fights a giant spider in the end. As long as that happens, the picture will be a success.

11. Argonaut15
    January 31, 2011 at 7:34 pm — Reply

My problem with actors with different accents than the characters they play, I find myself listening more for HOW they say something than WHAT they are saying.

This goes both ways with Robert Downey Jr as Sherlock Holmes or Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta.

When I do hear them slip up, it takes me out of the movie.

• Damascus
      March 31, 2011 at 12:11 am — Reply

It sounds like you’re already out of the movie before they ever slip up. Self-fulfilling prophecy maybe?