Recent discussion of the maybe-maybe-not-because-Princess-Amidala-said-so female solo Marvel hero movie have had me talking a lot about my favorite Marvel heroes, including the wondrous Wasp.  Regardless of how interesting I find Janet Van Dyne’s character arc (rich princess to distressed damsel to hero to Avengers Chairperson), I always shudder a little bit at her choice of alias.  Admittedly, my severe allergies to the venom of her namesake have something to do with it, but I find wasps (or, to be honest, anything with the thorax-down helicopter locomotion of a wasp) to be among the most terror-inducing members of the natural world.  ‘Course, since my family thinks of cobras as cuddly animal pals, my perspective might be off, but it at least begs our daily query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds you never to mention arachnids to Otter Disaster, as a spider once spun her web over his apartment door, and he was torn over whether to burn the apartment down or move, asking: What’s the most terrifying creature in the world for you?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

TELEVISION: DC Comics Headed to the Small Screen with a Number of Projects

MOVIES: HD Teaser Trailer for The Avengers: Age of Ultron is Here

1. September 27, 2013 at 11:30 am — Reply

Snakes no question terrify the living hell out of me. I can’t even stand to look at a photo of one. The way they eat, the fact that they have no legs and their suspicious look just aren’t natural.

2. September 27, 2013 at 11:32 am — Reply

Lampreys. It’s those damn mouths. Circular rows of teeth, like some outer-dimensional Lovecraftian horror.

Also leeches.

3. SmarkingOut Adam
    September 27, 2013 at 11:37 am — Reply

I pretty much don’t like anything but humans. They all creep me out.

4. September 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm — Reply

DC Editorial

5. gary
    September 27, 2013 at 12:25 pm — Reply

Batman!

Seriously though, Anglerfish. Not only are they pretty scary looking, just do a little research on their reproductive cycle…

6. September 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm — Reply

Bed bugs. They can asexually reproduce, the eggs can lay dormant for years until they find the right conditions, and they drink your blood to reproduce. They will infest your house in a ridiculously short amount of time, then they will lay eggs in your clothes in order to spread to a new environment.

Let me just reiterate that… They drink your blood while you sleep in order to reproduce at a shockingly alarming rate.

Nothing scares me like the thought of getting a bed bug infestation.

7. Kirby
    September 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm — Reply

House cats, all of them. One of my earliest memories, is one coming at me as a two-year-old, claws bared, my mom stepping in front of it wearing jeans, and she still got caught pretty bloody.

8. September 27, 2013 at 4:04 pm — Reply

Wasps! I stepped on one, when I was a kid, and I still kinda panic, when I get close to one.

That, and huge sea monsters – I mean, have you seen giant squids? The sea is terrifying!

9. September 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm — Reply

I tend to get a lot of crap because people find out I’m terrified of spiders, yet my favorite Marvel character is Spider-Man.

But the one thing that scares me more than anything else is, quite frankly, humans. Just take a look at notalwaysright.com for a few mild examples. Seriously, most people aren’t that bad, but there are those select few that are so dangerously insanely stubborn and/or stupid that I wonder how they managed to survive to adulthood without blowing themselves or everyone else up or something. Knowing that most of them are behind the wheels of vehicles at some point is almost enough to make me afraid to leave the house.

10. September 27, 2013 at 5:17 pm — Reply

Here’s something fairly unique to the rocky mountains. They are called Pine Borer Beetles, and pictures don’t do them justice. Also don’t get bit by them, the bite won’t kill you but it’ll hurt like hell.

After that, Centipedes and Millipedes, they both terrify me no-end… Just ugh…

11. Arbor Day
    September 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm — Reply

Those parasite worms that take over the minds and bodies of insects and spiders. When you see them wiggle out of a dead bug to twice the size of the creature it was just in.

12. Frank
    September 27, 2013 at 8:26 pm — Reply

A person who is driving while using their cellphone. They are Darwin Awards waiting to happen.

• September 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm — Reply

This is one of the reasons I chose humans as my answer.

Even though a law recently went into effect here (I’m not sure if it was just local, state or everywhere law) that makes doing that illegal, you still see so many people doing it. What makes me even more scared is one of my cop friends was telling me he had to pull over an off-duty coworker who was caught doing it and he tried to worm out of it by saying “That only applies to texting while driving”.

13. September 27, 2013 at 10:21 pm — Reply

Pretty much any kind of creepy crawly flying thing makes me nervous, but wasps will always be my number one terror. We hates them.

14. September 30, 2013 at 2:18 pm — Reply

Not all spiders creep me out. The ones that can jump around fast as hell and you don’t where they land…and the brown recluse, yeah…those scare the hell out of me.