When the news broke this weekend that Matt Smith would be leaving Doctor Who, I immediately heard howls of despair from friends in fandom.  For my part, after the fifth time or so, the trauma of a new Doctor inspires less fear and uncertainty than it does speculation about who should take the role next.  Rupert Grint?  Patterson Joseph?  Ryota Ozawa?  How about Helen Mirren as our first female Doctor?  It’s a nerd wonderland, a beautiful time when we can all pretend we know best, and recast the role of our favorite imaginary friend with the face of a beloved actor.

*coughJimBroadbentcough*

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is sad that the 12th Doctor won’t get to work alongside the Brigadier, asking: What actor/actress would you cast as your ideal Twelfth Doctor?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

CONVENTIONS: Baltimore Comic-Con brings Fables panel to East Coast

CONVENTIONS: Valiant Entertainment to appear at HeroesCon

1. Praion
    June 3, 2013 at 11:32 am — Reply

Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood) or Bonnie Wright (Giny Weasly) or Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) as the next Doctor please!

(maybe too young but hey…)

2. June 3, 2013 at 11:36 am — Reply

Clive Owens.

3. Dave
    June 3, 2013 at 11:37 am — Reply

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that the new Doctor will be….

John Hurt.

Probably too obvious, but they’ve introduced him in shadow as being one of them without using “the name of the Doctor,” but he is then immediately presented as “Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor.”

As interesting as it would be to see the first female Doctor or another young British leading male, it has been a while since we’ve seen a more mature actor play the part and it would be neat to see him played more as an elder statesman and less as a love interest.

• June 3, 2013 at 11:53 am — Reply

If the articles I’ve seen with interviews are accurate, he’s not the next Doctor. However, they could have been inaccurate or the series creators may have leaked false info on purpose. Wouldn’t be the first time showrunners have done that.

4. Arbor Day
    June 3, 2013 at 11:43 am — Reply

David Morrissey, and Andrew Lincoln can play a new Master.

Maybe Damian Lewis if they want to go Ginger.

Those guys from Merlin aren’t doing anything anymore.

Realistically though, the guy that played Cutter on Primeval, Douglas Henshall, could work.

5. Gary
    June 3, 2013 at 11:51 am — Reply

Gene Wilder 30 years ago

Helena Bonham Carter would be a good female doctor.

6. June 3, 2013 at 11:57 am — Reply

I’d skip a known actor and go with me. I’m older than I look, Aspirin can kill me and I’ve cheated death, so I’ve already got some Time Lord traits.

Actually, I’m kinda hoping Sean Pertwee auditions again. It would be a nice bit of symmetry for the son of a Doctor to play the Doctor.

But I’m really hoping it isn’t a well-known actor and that it isn’t someone too young. Matt Smith was a good choice for going as young as they did, but I’m personally hoping for a bit of a return to the older patriarch type of Doctor.

7. hirimno
    June 3, 2013 at 12:31 pm — Reply

I would really like Martin Freeman. Hes a good actor, not 12, and it would be funny woth him also being Arthur Dent

• Gary
      June 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm — Reply

At first glance I thought that said “Morgan Freeman”… How awesome would it be for Morgan to do a Doctor Who reading.

“Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey!”

8. Kirby
    June 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm — Reply

I’d like Mark Williams to take the roll in part because I want an older actor to take up the role.

9. justanothergeek
    June 3, 2013 at 1:22 pm — Reply

Richard Ayoade would be perfect.

• Hannah
      June 4, 2013 at 11:24 am — Reply

My thoughts exactly!

10. June 3, 2013 at 1:59 pm — Reply

I would like to see Alan Rickman as 12

11. Frank
    June 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm — Reply

I am seconding “Alan Rickman”

12. June 3, 2013 at 4:10 pm — Reply

Donald Faison or Alphonso Ribiero.

Because diversity.

13. Rob
    June 3, 2013 at 5:54 pm — Reply

I would like to say hello to Jason Issacs as the Doctor.

14. AllenBT
    June 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm — Reply

I’d definitely suggest them casting a different “type.” The last three actors have all looked to have been roughly in their late 20’s or early 30’s. That look/type lends itself to playing some romantic tension with the starlet companions, but its becoming somewhat formulaic.

If they won’t take the plunge and try a woman, how about a return to an older actor. Assuming they would stay with a Brit, Peter Firth might make a very interesting change of pace, from the more recent Doctors, with a more sedate but ruthless style. Daragh O’Malley might make a great choice too. A little younger but still more mature might be James Purefoy.

15. Oldcomicfan
    June 4, 2013 at 4:02 am — Reply

If we could turn back the clock thirty years, I’d vote for Dianna Riggs. Emma Peel as Doctor Who? Well, why not? Seriously, though, I’m not up on my British actors and actresses. I suppose Benedict Cumberbatch has too much star power now to take on the role, but he might make a good Doctor.

16. BigPapaRama
    June 4, 2013 at 1:05 pm — Reply

I’d start watching Doctor Who if they cast Brendan Gleeson.

17. June 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm — Reply

Dani Pudi, cause he already has practice as Inspector Space Time
    Anthony Stewart Head – cause I have a crush and I said so
    Stephen Fry – could bring and interesting sarcastic edge to the roll
    Hugh Laurie – cause it would be funny to watch all the American’s freak out at his accent
    John Cleese – cause I can see him doing such interesting things with the role

18. b003
    June 5, 2013 at 8:54 pm — Reply

Terrance Stamp as the Valeyard.