I have long been of the opinion that there’s never such thing as too much of a good thing, provided that you’re the target audience.  Even pursuits that are silly, ridiculous or occasionally fatal can be found to have legions of hardcore fans if you look in the right place.  As an old-school comic book fan, I could probably name half a dozen characters who are widely reviled because of endless cameos, crossovers and multiple monthly books.  Characters like Batman, Wolverine, Cable and others are viewed as awful in some circles BECAUSE of their ubiquity, but having recently read the last arc of Rick Remender’s “Uncanny X-Force,” I once again submit that such theories are somewhat suspect.  The book’s cast consisted entirely of characters who bear such accusations, and proceeded to give Deadpool emotional depth, Psylocke gravitas, and made me care when Wolverine’s son was murdered.  If a paint-by-numbers knock-off character like Daken can be as moving as that story made him, then literally ANYONE can be awesome in the right hands.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is the best there is at what it does, and what it does is emit flatus, asking:  What’s the most enjoyable story featuring characters who are accused of being “overexposed?”

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic #2

ART APPRECIATION MOMENT OF THE DAY: Dave Bardin

1. January 6, 2013 at 11:46 am — Reply

Wolverine/Kitty Pryde japan special where ninja kidnaps Kitty and trains her in ninja arts to kill Wolverine.

• SmarkingOut Adam
      January 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm — Reply

This one is a great pick!

2. January 6, 2013 at 11:46 am — Reply

“Age of Apocalypse” was a pretty fun read at a time when I had gotten tired of the multiple X-teams. It was enough to bring back my interest for a few more years, particularly when characters from the timeline crept into the main Marvel U (I actually liked the X-Man title and the Nate Grey character for a while).

I also enjoyed the two Dark Claw comics from the DC/Marvel crossovers that merged Batman and Wolverine.

3. B.V.K.
    January 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm — Reply

Although it is not thought of fondly today, when Maximum Carnage came out during my younger years I thought it was the bees knees so to speak. That was at a time when Venom and symbiotes were everywhere.

• L1701E
      January 6, 2013 at 6:02 pm — Reply

I got the trade. It was awesome.

4. January 6, 2013 at 3:17 pm — Reply

I like Old Man Logan

5. January 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm — Reply

How come I never hear anyone say Batman is overexposed? How many Batman/Batman Family books are out now? Not that I don’t absolutely love Batman, but I just never hear the accusation lobbed at the Dark Knight.

• January 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm — Reply

Depending on what you consider a Batman book, anywhere from 5 to 12 Batman books per month…

• January 7, 2013 at 6:15 pm — Reply

Also, the post specifically mentions Batman as being one of the over-exposed…

• January 8, 2013 at 12:48 pm — Reply

Oops…Reading is FUNdamental.

• January 7, 2013 at 7:58 pm — Reply

Did my response not clarify that I thought Batman was as overexposed as Wolverine? Don’t get me wrong, I love Batman and everything, but I do admit he’s used a bit too much for my tastes.