Back in the wild days known as 1982, all my friends were TOTALLY into G.I. Joe.  With a best-selling comic book, a fairly affordable toy line, and the brilliance of Larry Hama writing both, it was pretty much a guaranteed seller.  To this day, I can remember line-for-line some of the wonderful moments in the back-of-the-package file cards that Hama wrote.  Of course, while most of my friends were torn in whether they most dug Stalker (the cool Green Beret with the camo fatigues), Scarlett (the gorgeous bombshell who could knock you in the dirt in a second), or Snake-Eyes (Ninja, duh?), I found myself most impressed by one Anthony S. Gambello, the team’s laser-rifle trooper, Code-Name: Flash. If you’re asking, ‘Which one’s Flash again?”, don’t feel too bad. Most of my 80’s pals had the same question. (He’s the cool cat with the orange pads in the image up there.)

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) wassss onnnssssse a maaaaaan, asking:
Which background or secondary characters do you end up liking more than the leads?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

REVIEW: Chew #28

SNEAK PEEK: John Henry: The Steam Age

1. SmarkingOut Adam
    September 16, 2012 at 11:52 am — Reply

Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde. For sure. I’m probably the only one within a hundred miles of me with two t-shirts with her on it.

2. September 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm — Reply

I’m not sure if G’nort qualifies or not, but I don’t recall him ever being a lead other than a few stories. It also happens quite often with GL stories that I’m really fascinated or interested in one of the background alien members of the group and I always wish we’d see more of them other than just a random appearance here and there (or only once in some cases).

For GI Joe, I liked Jinx (big surprise, Ali likes an Asian girl) and Tunnel Rat (I’m really not sure what appeals to me about him). They seem popular enough that they have been included in most modern remakes of the GI Joe continuity, but for the longest time no one knew who they were when I spoke of them.

3. September 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm — Reply

I liked Rory more than The Doctor last season in Doctor Who. Especially when he was The Centurion.

• September 16, 2012 at 12:38 pm — Reply

I didn’t like Rory that much until he was on the Cyberman ship. Then I suddenly thought he was awesome.

4. Chris
    September 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm — Reply

I’ve always loved Shockwave from Transformers, though he played a more prominent role in the comics than the show.

5. falinor@gmail.com
    September 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm — Reply

Jack Elam in any role, any movie.

6. September 16, 2012 at 6:36 pm — Reply

Brawn from Transformers, Elongated Man from the DCU, are probably the two that stick out the most.