The ultimate Star Wars v. Star Trek battle

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: John Cassaday

1. February 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm — Reply

Her cheekbones could slice glass.

2. Carl
    February 2, 2010 at 3:11 pm — Reply

So when exactly has this character made her own destiny? It seems to be she’s been pretty much f’d by everyone else for years.

3. ~wyntermute~
    February 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm — Reply

Heh. Carl makes a very good point, and I’d like to say that I think these drawings look like they’re done by some Bullpen apprentice… Like, “Hey Kid! All the BIG NAMES are busy, you wanna whip up some publicity images for us?”

4. Salieri
    February 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm — Reply

…Feh, still seems like the whole Heroic Age thing is riding on Brightest Day’s coat-tails.

• ~wyntermute~
      February 2, 2010 at 7:49 pm — Reply

And Blackest Night drew off that which came before, and so on, and so on… This industry epitomizes “Pop Will Eat Itself”, doesn’t it?

5. Jim
    February 2, 2010 at 8:03 pm — Reply

“I bake my own bread. I am an Avenger!”

6. Space Cadet Juan
    February 2, 2010 at 10:32 pm — Reply

Ugh. Bucky Cap and now Spider-Woman? I was sort of hoping with the Heroic Age that the new Avengers book would have some actual, you know, Avengers.

wyntermute: John Romita Jr. may not be your cup of tea but many (myself included) consider him one of the best in the business.

Salieri: Aren’t these sort of event thingies mapped out years in advance? Maybe it’s a case of great minds thinking alike…

• ~wyntermute~
      February 3, 2010 at 3:53 pm — Reply

I have no problem with any particular artist. I just have problems with these specific images. If any other “big name” had come out with them, I’d be saying the same thing. They’re not exactly the most flattering or inspiring of drawings, and I’m not the only one who’s remarked thusly. If they are JRJ productions, he must have whipped them up on his coffee break, cuz I’ve never had a problem with his art before. The only bias I have is with the storytelling of G-Mo, and that’s not relevant here. :)

7. February 3, 2010 at 6:43 am — Reply

I’m am so over Marvel’s little self promotion trick. It’s just annoying me. I’d rather just have silhouettes with no stupid blurbs of text. It would make guessing fun at the very least.