When Columbia Pictures reboots Spider-Man, Peter is going to need an Aunt May and Uncle Ben to give him some balance in his life.  The rumor mill and insider reporting have been working overtime to dig up these two bits of casting news.  First is the news that Martin Sheen is in final talks to play Uncle Ben.  Sheen has always been a bit of a hard-ass character, so it will be interesting to see his take on the warm and wise Uncle Ben.

The other rumor has Sally Field being offered the role of Aunt May.  If both of these rumors play out to be truths, then Columbia Pictures found a way to bring in the fans that span the ages – the old geezers that remember young Sheen and Field in the 60s and 70s, and the young kids who want to check out Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, and Rhys Ifans.

via Super Hero Hype

Wizard World acquires Central Canada Comic Con

Animated Tron series headed to Disney XD

1. Wil
    November 5, 2010 at 8:36 am — Reply

2 Communist-symphatizing Liberal hippies from the 60s era playing the beloved Unlce Ben and Aunt May??? Uh, no thanks. This film just keeps geting worse and worse. Efff the Liberal “Elite” and thier deceitful Sith ways.

• Matt
      November 5, 2010 at 9:02 am — Reply

While I am disappointed at yet another attempt to make a Spider-man movie, I feel I must say that there is nothing wrong with these choices, despite the fact that they are “communist sympathizing Liberal hippies”… If you don’t like someone, base it off something other then political views, otherwise you just look stupid.

• seneca
      November 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm — Reply

Why can’t we just have a conversation about comics and movies without having to throw political hatred into the mix?

2. November 5, 2010 at 8:45 am — Reply

I have to say that I like the casting choices. I have always disliked “Grandma May”. I have seen corpses that had more life in them. Sally would be a good May, to keep Peter on the right track. As for Martin I feel it would a good take as well.

3. Eye
    November 5, 2010 at 10:37 am — Reply

Gidget playing Aunt May?! Boy, do I feel old now.

4. November 5, 2010 at 11:55 am — Reply

Bad move. Despite the Oscars, I never thought much of the Flying Nun as an actress and Sheen has been pretty hammy since “Apocalypse Now” wrapped. Why not get unknowns? They would be cheaper and work harder.

More troubling still – does this mean they are doing the origin again?

• November 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm — Reply

I don’t see how they could really avoid it. I mean, you reboot from the beginning, you kind of have to start from zero, don’t you?

• November 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm — Reply

The new Spider-Man movie is a franchise reboot and will be similar to Ultimate Spider-Man… so, yes, it is an origin movie.

5. Bob
    November 5, 2010 at 12:37 pm — Reply

Oh she was awesome in Smokey and The Bandit.

If they are redoing the origin, I hope they keep a mask on him and don’t give him a lame helmet like Marvel Disney is doing to one of their properties next year.

6. steviecool
    November 5, 2010 at 1:58 pm — Reply

This is like when you visit someone’s house, ask for a Coke, then they give you a Fanta. Come on, it’s the same thing.

I also hear in the remake, Uncle Ben doesn’t get shot, but he does lose his 401K. Peter would have said something, but he was busy texting.

Also, instead of any spider references, they’re using kittens.

7. bob
    November 6, 2010 at 7:50 am — Reply

I can buy Sheen as Ben.But Sally as May?Sorry,I don’t see it.