Marvel Comics has announced the big project Alex Ross will be working on that features Captain America in an in-continuity story.

The title of series is Avengers/Invaders:
Set in current continuity and featuring Marvel’s mightiest heroes from the past and present like never before, this 12-issue limited series will reunite the award winning writing team of Alex Ross and Jim Krueger (Earth X, Universe X) for their first Marvel project in over five years! Ross will also provide covers for all 12 issues, in addition to character designs for the series, which will be penciled by fan-favorite Steve Sadowski.

The series will be packaged by Dynamite Entertainment and will arrive in 2008.

“It means something more to the world today, and that’s of course why we’re taking this confusing thing of the return of Captain America, that essentially is truly the return of Captain America, not in the way you would have expected,” revealed Ross of the series. “A lot of rich, creative room comes from that being opened up to us.”

If you missed our initial report, you can take the jump and see the full cover.

via Marvel

Ice Cube Adapting 10

Battlestar Pegasus One-Shot on the Way

1. Rowan
    August 14, 2007 at 11:57 am — Reply

ugggggh , agggh , sorry for the language but I’ve read this over and over 12 times now and fuck this and fuck marvel and fuck Alex Ross , im done with Marvel I am crushed

2. Rowan
    August 14, 2007 at 11:58 am — Reply

ugggh if it was non cannon then ok but ugggggggh

3. August 14, 2007 at 12:23 pm — Reply

Meh. Alex’s writing tends to ramble and rehash old stories from the ’70’s, so I won’t be on board. I imagine that the “resurrection,” if there is one, will be a source of much fan hatred.

4. Mark I.
    August 14, 2007 at 12:57 pm — Reply

Does Ross use the same face model for Cap as he does for Superman? That sure looks like Kingdom Come Supes under the mask.

A re-imagined “Invaders” for the 21st Century would be mildly acceptable. Say, Johnny Storm, Namor, a new Bucky, and Winter Soldier Cap. Other than that, well, I’ll believe it when I believe it.

5. jman
    August 14, 2007 at 1:10 pm — Reply

LMBAO at Rowan…truth be told, Alex Ross was okay on Marvels and Kingdom Come…but with the future of DC looking more like KC, I say enough is enough…when did this guy become the 500lb gorilla of comics…I like his projects few and far between, but he’s getting a little too much publicity as of late…

6. The Enigma
    August 14, 2007 at 1:14 pm — Reply

Way to go Marvel. You take one of the most powerful comic book arcs of the last ten years and compromise it for some pretty painting. Rowan, I agree completely.

7. August 14, 2007 at 1:34 pm — Reply

The Death and Return of Superman? Oh wait, no, it’s Captain America not Superman, and it’s Marvel not DC.

“Hey look DC, we can do Death and Return of stories too!” – Marvel

8. Jim
    August 14, 2007 at 1:43 pm — Reply

There’s an interview with Ross on Wizard that makes it sound like it will be Steve Rogers from the past (Invaders-era) and not current-continuity/dead Steve Rogers. Of all the options for this project, this one sounds the least like peeing on your neighbor’s lawn, so that’s slightly encouraging, or at least not discouraging.

I’m not familiar with the Earth-X stufff, but I think Krueger and Ross did a good job on “Justice.” The Invaders are interesting as a concept, so depending on what Avengers line-up we’ve got, I may check it out.

9. August 14, 2007 at 2:42 pm — Reply

yeah Alex Ross did awesome artwork, I’ve got one of his JLA pieces on a canvas above my desk :)

10. Baal
    August 14, 2007 at 3:35 pm — Reply

I’m an anti-fan of Ross but something about his interviews today for this have me excited. Maybe it’s that while I bought a lot of DC as a kid in the 70’s it was always Marvel that had my heart. Having Ross’ nostalgia aimed at things like The Invaders, Ms Marvel, and Spider-Woman has me giddy like a school girl. Now, if he could fit Greer Nelson as The Cat into that wayback machine with The Invaders it’d be the best birthday presente ver.

11. Maximus Rift
    August 14, 2007 at 7:13 pm — Reply

More proof that Marvel continuity under Joe Q means nothing.

Also, I had no idea Alex Ross was the second coming to get this treatment. Bad, Ross, Bad. You FU’ed a good story for a lousy painting.

12. Brent F.
    August 14, 2007 at 8:15 pm — Reply

I love Alex Ross, but I’m really confused by this project. Does this mean Ross gets to bring back Steve Rogers the way he wants without Ed Brubaker having a say in what goes on?

13. Maximus Rift
    August 14, 2007 at 9:03 pm — Reply

I read at “Newsarama” that the Invaders will be coming into main continuity by way of time travel for a limited series. So Cap’s return could be as short as Hal’s was when he returned with Kyle from the past.

Let’s hope so.

14. August 14, 2007 at 11:52 pm — Reply

We do not speak the ‘n’ word here! HERETIC!!!!

Heh… no, seriously, thanks for the info. :)

15. Jim
    August 15, 2007 at 7:47 am — Reply

Q, though, didn’t the Cap in the Invaders have one of those pointy shields, like a police badge, and not the rounded shield as in this painting above?

16. August 15, 2007 at 8:50 am — Reply

maybe he changed it?

17. August 15, 2007 at 9:23 am — Reply

During the original Invaders series in the ’70s, he used the standard round shield. According to the last retcon origin I read, he got the round shield at the same time he changed from small helmet to full cowl…

18. August 15, 2007 at 9:59 am — Reply

ugh. Alex Ross is an incredible talent, but why “The Return” at this time? I really do hope that this is a good Invaders yarn with NO time travel. Ah well, a man can hope can’t he?