Major Spoilers Forum
August 01, 2014, 08:59:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: The newest podcast in the Major Spoilers family is "Munchkin Land!"

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox sues over Watchmen Flick  (Read 4200 times)
schleicher12000
The Grand Master
Administrator
Velociraptor

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »

Who watches the Watchmen? No one if Fox has its way. The writer's strike cost Hollywood an estimated 2 billion dollars, and it looks like movie company is trying to recoup some of that lost revenue by suing Warner Bros. over the film rights to the Watchmen movie.

According to an article in the Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox holds the exclusive copyrights and contract rights to the Alan Moore inspired film.

Fox claims that between 1986 and 1990, it acquired all movie rights to the 12-issue DC Comics series and screenplays by Charles McKeown and Sam Hamm. In 1991, Fox assigned some rights via a quitclaim to Largo International with the understanding that the studio held exclusive rights to distribute the first motion picture based on "Watchmen," according to the lawsuit.

When Largo folded, Fox said the film could be shopped around only when a buy-out price was paid.  Now that the film is deep in production under the watchful eye of Zack Snyder, Fox decided it was time to pull its trump card claiming the company never received the fee.

I'll say one thing about Marvel, creating their own movie company where they control everything is probably the smartest move any comic company could do.  It's a wonder Warner Bros., which owns DC, never came up with the idea to keep its properties in house to avoid this very thing.

While I have only seen a few select shots from the film, if someone like me has been in the know about the Watchmen film, it's a sure bet Fox knew long before a single frame of film was shot, which makes me believe this lawsuit is nothing more than a way to extort money from the WB.  Hurm...

Beta Ray Bill Cosby
Administrator
Snorkasaurus

Bill?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure fox had a big smileyface countdown clock labeled "minutes left until Warner can't back out of making the movie, thus being forced to pay us"

AKA: Rodrigo
Stacy B.
V

No, really, where am I?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »

I'll say one thing about Marvel, creating their own movie company where they control everything is probably the smartest move any comic company could do.  It's a wonder Warner Bros., which owns DC, never came up with the idea to keep its properties in house to avoid this very thing.
I think this is more of a failure of not knowing what you have in house. Technically, they would not even have to make a new production house, just keep everything under the WB banner. Thing is, they have no problem with pimping out their licenses to make money. They are really only concerned with their main two series, Batman and Superman. They don't think that the average person could begin to understand a crossover situation. I mean, how long has the whole Justice League thing been talked about? Instead of using it as a launch pad for less used heroes, they want to make sure they got a Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman in it, thinking that no one is interested in any of the other characters. They have their licenses too spread out. That was the reason you never got to see Robin in the Justice League Unlimited cartoon, despite the fact that Teen Titans Go! was pretty big at that time.

While I have only seen a few select shots from the film, if someone like me has been in the know about the Watchmen film, it's a sure bet Fox knew long before a single frame of film was shot, which makes me believe this lawsuit is nothing more than a way to extort money from the WB.  Hurm...
Oh, of course. This property has been bouncing around Hollywood since 1986, for twenty-two year, usually never getting out of production hell. They had a pretty safe deal here. If the movie failed in pre-production, again, then they could try to wait a while longer. Wait until there has been film shot, and a you had passed the proverbial point of no return, and then you for either an out of court settelment, a court case, or a negotiation that forms a limited sort of partnership.

This could essentially screw the viewing audience, as any money paid out in settelments or law suits would go against the profit margin of the overall production. That would make it tougher to get other movies in the genre made later. All runs down to h Undecided :-\ow the rights after the quitclaim defaulted would have run, I think.

schleicher12000
The Grand Master
Administrator
Velociraptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »

Stacy: I wasn't implying Warner would need to create a new production company, simply keep everything that is Warner owned under the Warner banner so they can do with it what they want.

Marvel learned this lesson the hard way with Spider-Man, and now it will never be able to do a Marvel spider-man film as Sony has their mitts all over it.

Disco Stu
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:30:55 PM »

Regardless of who knew what, if this scuttles the Watchmen film, I will boycott every movie FOX makes in the future. I am serious about this. If dollars are the only thing that matters to them, then hit them where it hurts.
Civin
Car Insurance Gecko

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure fox had a big smileyface countdown clock labeled "minutes left until Warner can't back out of making the movie, thus being forced to pay us"

Rofl ouch.. yet this is probably true.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: