Since its debut in March, retailer reaction has been strong to Diamond’s 44 POCKET COMIC SPINNER RACK (JAN188004), which wholesales for $299, with free delivery in the continental United States. Several hundred units have already been sold and feedback has been positive about the unit’s compact footprint and quality construction.
Now, Diamond and Premier publishers, along with Diamond Select Toys are encouraging comic retailers to “pop up a spinner rack” in other “complementary businesses” in their area by offering incentives to retailers who purchase a spinner rack for placement in other businesses.
“We’re thinking about stores with the kind of clientele that would be interested in comics,” said Diamond Executive Director of Sales Mike Schimmel, regarding what qualifies as a complementary business. “The book, record, toy, or game store around the corner, the hospital gift shop down the street, drug stores, convenience stores, movie theaters, you name it. Since there really are comic books for everyone, there are lots of possibilities, and each retailer will know best what might work in their communities.”
Retailers qualify by reaching a signed agreement with another business to allow them to place and maintain a spinner rack of comics in their stores for a minimum of six months. Agreements can be reached on a buy-sell or consignment basis with quantities, margin splits, payment terms, and other details being at the discretion of the parties. “There are lots of ways to structure an agreement,” said Schimmel. “We’ve provided a couple of templates that retailers can adapt as they see fit. The program is also flexible in that there are no requirements in terms of the titles or quantities retailers put on the racks.”
For every rack purchased and rack agreement sent over to Diamond, publishers will be providing the following limited edition variants and free goods to offset the costs:
- Marvel: A 1 in 1000 Variant Comic TBD at time of redemption
- DC: MAY178593 DARK NIGHTS METAL #1 B&W MIDNIGHT RELEASE VAR B plus a second limited edition comic TBD at time of redemption
- Image: Retailer’s choice of 50 in-stock Image Firsts, plus a 2017 Retailer Appreciation Variant (while supplies last).
- Dark Horse: JUL168360 V LEGEND OF ZELDA ART & ARTIFACTS HC & JAN080090 V HELLBOY TP VOL 08 DARKNESS CALLS
- IDW: SEP170487 TMNT GHOSTBUSTERS II #1 INCV
- Dynamite: A high perceived retail value item TBD at time of redemption
- Boom: CGC Books & assorted Limited Edition Incentives TBD at time of redemption
- Diamond Select Toys: Retailer’s choice of one in-stock Gallery PVC Figure
“We think comic books can sell to lots of people in lots of places if they’re properly curated,” said Schimmel, “and we think comic shop retailers have the expertise and passion to do the job. It’s our hope that retailers will both make more money, and create more fans for comics, by participating.