If you are going to catch a reader’s attention, the comic book cover is the best place to do it. Over the decades, some really great covers have appeared on the stands at local comic shops around the world. Some have definitely been better than others, and some have become so iconic that they will never leave our collective consciousness.

Which cover do you like most? (Comment Here)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Geek History Lesson #184 - Ralph Dibny (Elongated Man)

Major Spoilers Podcast #751: Legends of the Dark Claw (and Spider-Boy)

1. -JoeM
    October 24, 2017 at 2:04 pm — Reply

I voted for the Crisis cover. It’s way cool and it tells a story. And I remember that when it came out. I was actually shocked and surprised.
    -JoeM

2. Daniel Langsdale
    October 24, 2017 at 2:48 pm — Reply

The Dark Knight cover is simple, stream-lined, eye-catching, and dramatic. It’s a modern masterpiece of original composition that doesn’t need to rely upon copying past tropes, like a Pieta, for its inspiration.

• Daniel Langsdale
      October 24, 2017 at 3:01 pm — Reply

Oh, and the Crisis cover is not even an original composition for a comic book cover of its era. The main pose is virtually identical to the cover of X-men 136, for the death of Phoenix five years earlier. And a quick google search has shown me that even this one is likely drawing on an older comic cover, like maybe Lois Lane 128.

3. October 24, 2017 at 4:10 pm — Reply

I think the ur example is Batman #156, ‘Robin Dies At Dawn’, from waaaay back in ’63.

• Daniel Langsdale
      October 24, 2017 at 6:31 pm — Reply

Exactly. Not particularly an original. And apparently, Perez claimed to have been referencing Thor 127, so he knew it, too.

4. Jeffrey Corbello
    October 24, 2017 at 9:49 pm — Reply

CoIE #7 has so much emotion in its cover. It draws you in.

5. October 25, 2017 at 4:18 am — Reply

I know that Dark Knight Returns is one of the earlier cases of dark, gritty Batman, but looking at these from a modern day perspective where that’s all we’ve been getting for the last several years I have to vote for the more colourful and emotional Crisis cover here (and Dark Knight is the only one of these two that I’ve actually read so I feel that’s saying something)

6. October 25, 2017 at 5:59 pm — Reply

The DKR cover has a mysterious allure to it. The other cover is great, but there is something to the DKR cover’s simplicity that works for me. All the imitations since just don’t come close. And I say this as someone who isn’t a huge Batman fan.

7. October 26, 2017 at 9:43 am — Reply

Tough choice for me, but as much as I’d like to lean into the Batman hate, that TDK cover is a masterpiece of graphic design, and I can’t not vote for it.

8. Blamrob
    November 5, 2017 at 7:07 pm — Reply

I can’t believe this is even close! The DKR cover is (one of, if not the) most iconic cover in comic book history. I don’t think that CoIE cover is even the best of the CoIE covers! It’s too busy and poorly inked and colored (even for its era).

9. Slappy
    November 7, 2017 at 11:40 am — Reply

I Vote Crisis.
    I am such a sucker for George Perez Art.
    Nobody mashes a bunch of characters together like this man.