I have long believed that it is utter madness to try and justify super-hero costumes in a real-world context.  Superman wears tights to emulate a circus strongman,  Spider-Man has web-pits for effect, Cable has pouches akimbo because his creator isn’t very skilled.  That said, I sometimes wonder why more American super-types don’t avail themselves of a helmet, like their Super Sentai or Kamen Rider counterparts in the Pacific.  The Punisher, for one, would be even scarier with a shiny faceplate, leading to today’s motocross query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) thinks Batman could use some head protection, even with the dumb “graphite helm” thing from the Nolan movies, asking: Hero With A Helmet: Awesome or Awkward?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[Preview] Dominatrix returns in Hellbent in Hells from Arcana Studios

Random Access Memory - August 2017

1. August 30, 2017 at 11:31 am — Reply

I’ve always been a fan of a good helmet design. Hoods and other headdresses included.

2. August 30, 2017 at 11:40 am — Reply

I’m probably heavily biased as a fan of many Japanese superheroes, but I do lean toward liking helmets, particularly those that have a cool design. It doesn’t work for every hero, but when it does work it works well.

I also think in some cases it accents the point that the character is supposed to be armored rather than just wearing something to hide their identity. It gives a feel that they are more formidable and not as easy to take down.

3. Daniel Langsdale
    August 30, 2017 at 4:15 pm — Reply

Helmets can be cool, even awesome. Doctor Fate’s is a classic, and Nova and Aztek’s aren’t half bad. Magneto’s is a little questionable. Turning Speedball into Penance with a BDSM helmet was just abominable.

Dark Hawk, Night Thrasher, Iron Man… I suppose it comes down to how much of the character’s identity is tied up in the helmet. Dredd is 100% helmet 100% of the time, but if I couldn’t see the cold determination on Frank Castle’s face, it just wouldn’t be the same.

Wolverine in a helmet would be ridonculous.

Oh, and I don’t think “akimbo” means what you think it means.

4. Robbie Warnock
    August 30, 2017 at 10:14 pm — Reply

Tommy Oliver’s helmets? Amazing.
    Hindsight Lad’s? No so much….

5. stellarleader
    August 31, 2017 at 10:07 am — Reply

Helmets are cool! Although they definitely don’t fit every superhero.
    I understand why they do it, but I hate that the hero loses their helmet on every freakin movie and even in some anime! (I’m looking at you Saint Seiya)

6. Toric
    August 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm — Reply

I’m all for head protection. From the Super Sentai full head helm to Luke Cage’s tiara to Black Lightning’s armored afro, I think headgear helps establish an iconic look. From a practical standpoint it prevents you from getting taken out by a potted plant to the back of the head.