The topc of favorite superhero is always a rough one for me.  The answer is in flux (right now it’s either Ultra Boy, Gokai Pink or Crystal Gem Garnet) but it sometimes helps to drill down to a specific company or era.  F’ristance, my favorite Golden Age hero is Micro-Face, a failed inventor whose nom de guerre sounds like a third-grade insult and whose super-power is “a microphone.”  Those early superheroes are a wild lot, full of bizarre, lovable superhumans with amazing gimmicks and garish costumes (like Fantomah, The Green Turtle or even the JSAs Doctor Mid-Night) leading to today’s masked query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) also loves Micro’s stablemate, Zippo, who wears carborundum steel, jet–powered wheels on his shoes, making him as fast as the fastest Packard, asking: Who is YOUR favorite Golden Age hero?

1. Daniel Langsdale
    August 11, 2017 at 12:22 pm — Reply

Tintin. That plucky reporter wins with a charming mix of luck, cunning & a faithful dog. What more do you want?

2. August 11, 2017 at 1:28 pm — Reply

Hourman. Mostly the costume but partly how the powers worked.

3. August 11, 2017 at 3:22 pm — Reply

The original Green Lantern Alan Scott. While I am a big fan of the Green Lantern Corps characters, I found Alan to be just as intriguing, and he’s got a great history with just as many twists and turns as the various Corps ring bearers. Not to mention we wouldn’t have the Corps Lanterns without his existence.

And it was that love of the character that led me to truly appreciate other characters of the same time period, such as his fellow JSA members, characters I might not have given a second look at back in the day. When I was young (like around age 10 – 12), I was all about the NEW stuff, but it was those old stories that opened my mind to trying other stories from or featuring characters from that era.

Honorable mention goes to my second favorite Golden Age hero, Blue Beetle.

4. Paul
    August 11, 2017 at 8:13 pm — Reply

Hourman

5. Wade Warren
    August 12, 2017 at 7:39 am — Reply

The Golden Age Atom. He was one scrappy person who held his own without super powers.

6. August 12, 2017 at 7:46 am — Reply

Superman. But whole JSA is wonderful too.

7. Ron
    August 13, 2017 at 1:29 am — Reply

Johnny Quick because he wore short sleeves and had a cool mask.

8. UltraMatt
    August 13, 2017 at 11:13 pm — Reply

gah hard to say. I love the original Jay Garrick Flash and oddly enough, I actually really liked the golden age version of Firebrand. I thought he had some good character moments with his supporting cast.