At some point during the day, our thoughts turn to the idea that we need to consume food.

“Ah, but what food?”

Indeed there are many things we could eat, but since it is Tuesday, it seems like a perfect day for tacos.

“Ah, but what kind of taco?”

POLL OF THE WEEK

What is your favorite taco shell? (Comment)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Geek History Lesson #157 - Jean Grey

[Preview] Charmed #2

1. April 11, 2017 at 1:04 pm — Reply

I used to be a strictly soft shell taco guy. Every time I went to a taco place it was soft shell all the way. They always seem bigger, more filling, just more stuff in them. You have to be delicate with a hard shell to keep it from breaking while you fill it, but with a soft shell, you just cram it full of stuff. Over the years, my tastes have evolved. Now when I eat a soft shell taco, it is kind of like eating mush. There is no variation to the texture, so everything just melds into one indefinable lump. Now when I walk into a taco joint or make tacos at home, I have to have the hard shell. The meticulous construction of the hard shell taco ensures that there is not too much of any single ingredient. Just the right amount of protein, a sprinkling of cheese, crisp shredded lettuce, juicy tomato, and the all important taco sauce accentuated by a pleasant crunch. Dang it, now I have to go make tacos!

2. April 11, 2017 at 2:30 pm — Reply

I picked the third option because although it is technically a hard shell, I absolutely LOVE the Taco Bell Doritos Nacho Cheese shell more than any other shell available. Second is the Chalupa shell they have (which isn’t the same as an actual chalupa if anyone has ever had the actual dish, more like a fluffy yet crunchy taco), and third is double decker (which I can easily make at home).

• April 11, 2017 at 2:42 pm — Reply

If it is “technically a hard shell” then your vote should be “hard shell”

3. April 11, 2017 at 3:11 pm — Reply

I like em’ hard, dark and rough.

4. Doug Connors
    April 11, 2017 at 4:40 pm — Reply

Despite the occasional messy eating, it’s hard shell all the way.

5. Matt T
    April 14, 2017 at 3:49 pm — Reply

I like soft shells provided its a flour tortilla. Corn has to be hard.

6. April 15, 2017 at 10:34 am — Reply

I actually like the Cheezy Gordita Crunch. It’s got all the crunch of a hard taco, but the soft outer shell keeps it from crumbling in my hands. Super convenient.

7. Frederick Pagliarulo Jr. (a.k.a. Darth Macho)
    April 17, 2017 at 4:38 am — Reply

Soft flour tortillas are the way to go. It’s the perfect texture.

8. The Mark
    April 18, 2017 at 9:50 am — Reply

Hang on a moment here… there is more than one taco shell type… In the UK they just a do a taco shell. and it’s not great. stale would be word.