Major Spoilers head honcho Stephen and I have a few things that we disagree on, but none seems to pop up as often as the question of what to call the original 1977 Star Wars movie.  I find the Episode IV designation to be frustrating and confusing, but I understand his point that it is the fourth chronological installation of the film series.  When it comes to Star Wars nomenclature, there’s always confusion: If you call ‘The Phantom Menace’ the first movie, it misconstrues the fact that this movie came out thirty years after SW:EpIV.  Of course, this will all be moot in a couple of years, when there are fifty-six film installations of the Star Wars series, leading to today’s long, long ago query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) will also point out that the original release of the film (AKA the one Stephen and I saw in theatres) did NOT have the Episode IV header, asking: What’s your preferred Star Wars nomenclature: Star Wars or Episode IV?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Zach on Film: Paper Moon (1973)

Critical Hit #395: Weird Western: The Warehouse at the End of the Lane (PF004)

1. April 7, 2017 at 12:08 pm — Reply

I prefer calling them by their episode titles, like “A New Hope” or “The Phantom Menace”.

2. Frank
    April 7, 2017 at 1:58 pm — Reply

Star Wars, The Empire [Strikes Back], [Return of the] Jedi. Not Episode IV, not A New Hope. No prequels either….

3. April 7, 2017 at 3:52 pm — Reply

First one will always be just “Star Wars” to me. Then The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. I Dont care what next three are called. I have to decide these new ones later.

4. Daniel Langsdale
    April 7, 2017 at 5:02 pm — Reply

It is “Star Wars,” full stop. Just look at the movie posters that were out for it, EVEN FOR THE SPECIAL EDITION. No “A New Hope” for the original; no episode numbering on any of the original three; and for that matter, it’s just “Empire Strikes Back” and “Return of the Jedi,” not “Star Wars: blah”. Judge the title by its cover.

And while we’re at it, “The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe” is the first of the Chronicles of Narnia.

• April 7, 2017 at 8:34 pm — Reply

The Magicians Nephew is book 6 not 1 even if it is 1 chronologically.
      Are we going to go back and rebrand all of the Bond movies based upon the book chronology?
      In that Case, the Bond order is :
      The Spy Who Loved Me Roger Moore
      On Her Majesty’s Secret Service George Lazenby
      You Only Live Twice Sean Connery
      The Man with the Golden Gun Roger Moore
      Octopussy and the Living Daylights Roger Moore/Timothy Dalton

5. April 7, 2017 at 8:26 pm — Reply

I do not understand the Episode IV. Is this some kind of drug culture thing?
    I saw Star Wars in a drive-in. Then I saw Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in the movie theaters.
    I don’t recall an episode in the title until The Phantom Menace.

6. Doug Connors
    April 8, 2017 at 7:54 am — Reply

I agree with Frank, they’ve always just been: Star Wars, Empire and Jedi.