In this installment of Critical Hit – A Major Spoilers Podcast: The grand finale of our first Call of Cthulhu adventure happens now! Will the investigators win the game?

At Major Spoilers, we strive to create original content that you find interesting and entertaining. If you would like to support our efforts, please become a patron today.

Major Spoilers Question of the Day: The Cutest Edition

Inside Astro City #41 with Kurt Busiek

1. March 5, 2017 at 3:02 pm — Reply

Whoo, that ended with an impressive and satisfying bang. Glad to have the mysteries cleared up after the fact — I was afraid we were going to be left with a lot of open questions, which is fine for some kinds of stories, but can be very frustrating when the whole point of a serial mystery is just “There are some things you never get to learn.” It’s nice to feel like all my major questions were answered.

Sad to see Howard never reappearing again. As much fun as Chuck was — especially at the end, when he’d drunk the Cthulhu-Aid — Howard was such a key part of the early going, and having his story effectively end with “Your friends sell you out and you get the crap kicked out of you by orderlies” feels pretty tragic. Given that [redacted] was in on it all along, I really wonder what Howard’s care at the clinic was like, and whether he was also offered a chance to convert.

2. March 5, 2017 at 3:03 pm — Reply

I’m so sad that yellow light is over! I really enjoyed listening to this game, especially with the binaural recording. It really did feel like I was right there at the table with all of you! I would really love to hear more from Modern City now that I know that’s an option though.

3. Gehrigan
    March 6, 2017 at 2:54 am — Reply

It ended as any conjunction with the Cthulhu Mythos should. I loved the cluelessness of the characters, worst choice for a detective squad ever :)
    I second the idea of more Cthulhu. Bring back Dr. Brad! Bring back Amanda.

4. Simonsimonforyou
    March 6, 2017 at 5:26 am — Reply

Cool little arc we got here. I do find Cthulhu games to be very difficult to run, because eventually you need to change up the whole running around with your head under your arm until the monster reveals itself.

But it was fun! Can’t wait for pathfinder. Can’t wait to hear Rodrigo play a character again. I really enjoyed PDK.

5. Frederick Pagliarulo Jr. (a.k.a. Darth Macho)
    March 7, 2017 at 8:31 am — Reply

This arc was definitely a slow burn with a great payoff, assuming happy endings aren’t something that you need to make a fulfilling game. I found the mechanics a little strange, but maybe only because i wasn’t familiar with them before this.

I’m looking forward to hearing your take on Pathfinder, but worry that it is known for being a little “crunchy” so I wonder how it will go. You are all experienced gamers now, so it shouldn’t be a big deal. I’m sure the role-playing will always be great.

Still, I’m really looking forward to getting back to the main show, because I can’t wait to hear what is going on in the Astral Sea. I’m sure it will be here before we know it.

Thanks for all the games and shows. I don’t know how I’d get through work without it.

6. March 7, 2017 at 9:34 am — Reply

Enjoyable roleplay as usual, but also some good background work by the GM. However, I had a similar experience with a GM who tried to make a Cthulhu D&D campaign. The GM expected the players to behave differently than their characters would. It kind of left the GM hoping people would behave differently and therefore routinely a bit frustrated because he wanted the players to do well but didn’t account for players role-playing.

Fun to listen to (and listen to other Cthuluhu podcasts), but hoping for a return to Modern City which was fun and right in everyone’s sweet spot.

7. March 7, 2017 at 9:39 am — Reply

Oh and my second choice would be Star Wars. :)

8. March 11, 2017 at 3:42 pm — Reply

This was such a great game! Brad did an excellent job as GM, and his attention to detail was impressive. It seemed like he had a note or an answer for everything. I loved listening to these episodes, and I can’t wait to hear what comes next. (I know it’s Pathfinder, but still…)

9. March 20, 2017 at 3:57 pm — Reply

Guess I’m the only one but I didn’t like it. I don’t like games where it’s more than likely you are going to die or lose your character. Yeah everyone roleplayed their characters great but to a point of where I was yelling at my phone to get on with it. But to each their own. I’m glad you guys had fun . That’s the whole point of a game.