As we’ve noted, I often call upon my family to assist me in the creation of the MS-QOTD, because even my brain can’t always parse things into a coherent query, especially in these tempestuous times.  Today, my daughter wanted me to ask whether ‘Top Gun’ was a better movie than ‘Jack Reacher,’ problematic for two reasons: First, the answer is yes, but ‘Top Gun’ still isn’t a particularly good movie, Val Kilmer aside.  Still, it does give us a little something pop culturey to talk about in the Tom Cruise range, leading to today’s risky business query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) will always go for ‘Legend,’ but that choice may contain more than a little spillover from the wonder that is Tim Curry, asking: What’s the best Tom Cruise performance in his entire filmography?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[Preview] Archie #18

[Solicitations] Dark Horse Comics for May 2017

1. Kirby
    February 18, 2017 at 11:55 am — Reply

I’ve never been a big Tom Cruise fan, but I really did enjoy him in Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat. Taking his usual annoying swarmyness and then having it be put through the ringer was enjoyable.

2. February 18, 2017 at 1:00 pm — Reply

Rain Man. I’m not a big Tom Cruise fan, but that is one of the few movies of his I really enjoy (along with Legend and Interview with the Vampire). Not that I avoid his movies, I just generally do not enjoy the majority of them.

3. February 18, 2017 at 2:54 pm — Reply

Risky Business. You know, before the first audit.

4. February 19, 2017 at 5:01 am — Reply

Last one I remember was Edge of Tomorrow.

5. Daniel Langsdale
    February 19, 2017 at 8:00 am — Reply

Best in small doses, I’d go with his cameo in Tropic Thunder.

6. Doug Connors
    February 19, 2017 at 8:49 am — Reply

Not a huge fan of Cruise. I liked last samurai, were he was probably his least Cruisie. I loved his character in tropic Thunder though as well.

7. February 19, 2017 at 6:13 pm — Reply

Actually, I think he has been in a lot of good movies. I liked A few Good Men and Vanilla Sky.

8. Robert Howatt Jr.
    February 20, 2017 at 7:47 am — Reply

For years, Tom Cruise has fallen into the trap that others like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and even Clifton Webb had fallen into. They developed an on screen persona and forever play a variation of that persona. Whether it is Top Gun, Mission Impossible or The Last Samurai, he is the cocky Mary Sue we all know will win in the end.
    To this end my choice is a bit part he played but chewed the scenery like no other.
    Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder. An obnoxious jackass who spent most of his scenes in an office on the phone and doing nothing heroic at all and having no action to react to.