Yesterday, entirely by accident, I watched my first holiday special of the year (It was ‘How The Grinch Stole Christmas’, in case you wondering, featuring some of the best Chuck Jones animation of his storied career), which reminds me once again how much I love the idea of the holiday special.  The idea that certain shows should be saved for certain time of year is one of those archaic ideas that would never fly today, were it not for tradition, and many of them are incredibly charming.  I am looking forward to this year’s viewing of ‘A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving’, one of the traditional things Widget and I watch together to kick off the winter holidays at our house, leading to today’s seasonal query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) would have a difficult time choosing, but probably falls on the side of stop motion ‘Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer’, asking: What’s your favorite holiday special of all?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

LEGO Speed Build and Review of the Volkswagen Beetle (Set 10252)

[Movies] New teaser for Cars 3 has arrived

1. November 21, 2016 at 1:47 pm — Reply

Tie between “Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas” and the relatively recent Doctor Who Christmas special “Last Christmas” (featuring one of my favorite comedy actors, Nick Frost, as Santa).

2. November 21, 2016 at 4:08 pm — Reply

Die Hard, that’s a good one and totally counts.

• November 22, 2016 at 1:47 pm — Reply

I always list Lethal Weapon as my favorite Christmas movie.

3. November 21, 2016 at 5:41 pm — Reply

Peanuts for sure, the iPad app is also incredible :)

4. Cody Dixon
    November 21, 2016 at 6:35 pm — Reply

How the Grinch Stole Christmas cartoon not the live action is for sure my favorite of the holiday specials. Futurama’s “X-mas Story” is a favorite of mine I try to watch every year.

5. Frank
    November 22, 2016 at 8:12 am — Reply

You’r a mean one, Mr. Grinch
    that and the Claymation Christmas.

6. November 22, 2016 at 11:42 am — Reply

Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas is a Christmas Tradition going back to when I was a kid.
    Me and some cousins would watch it in their basement on Christmas Day. When younger cousins were old enough to join us, a stipulation was that they needed to be ready to sing along with us.
    Travis showed up at my house the day after Thanksgiving that year to get the video so he and his brother could prepare.

7. November 22, 2016 at 1:46 pm — Reply

Animated Grinch edges out Charlie Brown Christmas & Rudolph. Best song from the specials is ‘Little Birdie’ from Charlie Brown Thanksgiving

8. Hannah
    November 22, 2016 at 10:39 pm — Reply

The Nightmare Before Christmas, because I’m a terrible, terrible person who wants spooky pretty much all the time.

And then the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving because it’s just the perfect movie to drift off too when you’re in a turkey-induced coma.