PRESS RELEASE –
Award-winning Magnetic Press becomes the Magnetic Collection at Lion Forge Comics.
Effective September 30, The Lion Forge, LLC acquires the assets of Magnetic Press, Inc.
Mike Kennedy, Publisher and President of Magnetic Press, joins Lion Forge Comics as Creative Director of the Magnetic Collection. In that role, he will curate a branded collection of premiere books across all imprints at Lion Forge, including new acquisitions as well as the award-winning and critically-acclaimed, creator-centric Magnetic catalog of titles.
The Magnetic Collection brand reflects Kennedy’s consistent vision for what ground-breaking graphic novel literature can be. Readers can be confident that a Magnetic Collection book within a Lion Forge imprint upholds the same standards for storytelling trailblazed in Magnetic Press
Said Geoff Gerber, President of Lion Forge:
“Magnetic Press redefined creator and publisher relationships with a globally inclusive approach to creator-driven content. Magnetic’s books are recognizable because of their compelling visual and literary aesthetic and the production quality of its printed books.”
“Mike Kennedy’s careful attention to all the details of publishing award-winning content and premium books makes him the perfect person to curate our premier line of titles.”
Among the award-winning and acclaimed titles and talent that this acquisition brings to Lion Forge as part of the Magnetic Collection:
- LOVE: THE TIGER (2015 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens, 2015 YALSA Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers, SLJ Starred Review, Cybils Children and Young Adult Bloggers’ Literary Awards Nom 2015)
- LOVE: THE FOX (2015 IPPY AWARDS GOLD MEDAL – Best Graphic Novel)
- LOVE: THE LION (Booklist Starred Review)
- DOOMBOY ( Eisner Nom 2015 Best Publication for Teens, 2015 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens list, PW 2015 Year-end Critics List)
- WARSHIP JOLLY ROGER (2016 YALSA Great Graphic Novels for Teens)
- WASTED LANDS OMNIBUS (Eisner Nom 2015 Best Graphic Album Reprint)
- A GLANCE BACKWARD (Booklist Starred Review, Eisner Nominee 2016 Best US Edition of Foreign Material)
- FEDERICO BERTOLUCCI: Eisner Nominee 2015 Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (LOVE series)
- TONY SANDOVAL: Eisner Nominee 2015 Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (DOOMBOY, A GLANCE BACKWARD)
Mike Kennedy remarked:
“It’s no secret Magnetic Press was launched to carry the torch of quality production gleaned from the preceding years at Archaia. Cultivating creators and nurturing talent ranked as the top priority for Magnetic. So, becoming a part of Lion Forge is like a homecoming.
Lion Forge not only understands what Magnetic achieved in its first 2 ½ years, their enthusiasm and commitment to help continue the Magnetic mission – to bring more great books and talent from around the world to market – is beyond exciting. I’m thrilled to be joining the talented and experienced staff assembled at Lion Forge.”
Kennedy joins other recent high-profile Lion Forge hires: Rich Johnson (VP – Sales, Marketing, and Business Development), Mark Smylie (Executive Editor), Syndee Barwick (Director – Marketing and Product Development), Joe Illidge (Senior Editor – Lion Forge), Devin Funches (Sales and Marketing
Manager), and Andrea Colvin (Senior Editor – ROAR).
About Lion Forge Comics:
Lion Forge Comics strives to create comics that everyone – regardless of background or ethnicity – can identify with. Their title Andre the Giant: Closer To Heaven was nominated for three Glyph Awards. From indie creators to licensed properties including Dreamworks’ Voltron Legendary Defender, NBC/Universal’s Miami Vice, Airwolf, Punky Brewster, Saved By The Bell, and Knight Rider, and American Greetings’ Care Bears and Madballs, there is something for every level of comic fan.
Lion Forge Comics – Comics For Everyone. Visit www.lionforge.com for more information.
Magnetic Collection/Lion Forge Talent Signing at NYCC:
Thursday, October 6, from 3:00 – 4:00:
Sylvain Runberg, author of Warship Jolly Roger signs at Lion Forge Booth #1669