Geek History Lesson #128 - Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)

[Toys] ThreeA String Divers Theodore Review

1. Tim
    August 30, 2016 at 11:44 am — Reply

I love both of these characters. One of my earliest memories is playing at my local swimming pool with my best friend’s Aquaman action figure. The rippling muscles of his molded orange plastic torso and the bright green legs of a powerful swimmer set off my imagination as I created in my mind the under water kingdom that this King of Atlantis could rule. I discovered the comics much later, and was terribly disappointed in the way that DC treated the character of Aquaman as a throw away, or a joke in so many cases. By my teenage years, I had firmly positioned myself in the Marvel camp, thanks to the ’90s Xmen television show. That is when I met Namor. Where Aquaman is all gold and hope, Namor is dark and tragic, and that appealed to my teenage self. The kingdoms under the sea, previously ruled by a bright and shining king had been lost to a dark, brooding god under the waves. As an adult, I have gone back and read a lot (probably more than is healthy) of both of their stories, so ultimately I am basing my vote for NAMOR on the respect that the publisher has given the character over the years. Besides, if the movie casting for Aquaman is any indication, even DC thinks Namor is the cooler of the two.

2. August 30, 2016 at 11:45 am — Reply

There are few problems that can’t be solved by summoning a bigger fish.

3. Russ Catt
    August 30, 2016 at 12:50 pm — Reply

Imperious Rex!
    (aka, Namor, please.)

4. HipHopHead
    August 30, 2016 at 2:25 pm — Reply

Similar to Tim, I have a spot in my heart for both.

I was introduced to Aquaman first in comic books and Saturday morning cartoons. I recall he would throw “waterballs” under water (Matthew can you confirm?). Made me want a seahorse, but who knew (at the time) they did not grow THAT big.

However, my vote went to Namor. Aquaman may be able to summon a bigger fish, but Namor can hold his own with anyone in water and has with the Hulk…does DC have a ‘Hulk”? another advantage for Namor, is he can fly.

Namor lastly has MAD GAME. how many times has he pushed up on Susan Storm (Richards)? Didn’t she go live with him under water? Has Aquaman convinced an air-breather to live under water?

5. August 30, 2016 at 2:39 pm — Reply

Namor sent the Hulk into space and opened a movie studio to hook up with Sue Storm. What’s Aquaman done?

6. Mauther
    August 30, 2016 at 2:50 pm — Reply

I think as far as power sets go they are pretty much carbon copies. However, Namor has the added power of being a tremendous a-hole. Namor +1

7. August 30, 2016 at 5:40 pm — Reply

Hulkbusting + flight + better costumes = Subby

8. Doug Connors
    August 30, 2016 at 5:44 pm — Reply

Have to give it to Namor, due to the total ahat bonus he gets.

9. Sydness
    August 30, 2016 at 5:59 pm — Reply

Aquaman can’t control anything that Namor can’t knock out. Also, he can fly. He is stronger, snarkier, and has more angular hair. It’s no contest.

10. Cody
    August 30, 2016 at 7:03 pm — Reply

I had to give it to Aquaman because all he has to do is dry out Namor to make him weak as a kitten. Aquaman can also summon a whale or giant squid and if all else fails Aquaman can summon the Justice League. No ones gonna help out Namor since he’s a huge a-hole.

11. b003
    August 30, 2016 at 7:50 pm — Reply

Naomor can be a beast. But Aurthur has a smokin’ wife! Namor can’t keep a woman or a kingdom.

12. September 2, 2016 at 6:31 am — Reply

Considering I keep hearing talk of Aquaman being written like he’s Namor, I’m going to give the win to Namor. If Aquaman wants to win, writers should figure out who they want him to be. The lame guy from the 60? What do you mean he’s not Namor? That awesome rendition from Batman Brave and the Bold? Pick something, stick with it. Then I’ll take this poll seriously.

13. Mauther
    September 2, 2016 at 1:31 pm — Reply

With all the votes pointing out the personality differences between these two, I had an idea for a great TV show. Aquaman is on the throne with his lovely wife Mera and his lovely family of Aqualads, when his ne’er-do-well cousin Namor shows up looking for a sofa to crash on. The straight-laced Curries have to deal with the awkward and zany misadventures that pop up when the Submariner is in town. Namor hitting on Mera, taking Aqualad to an underwater stripclub, flooding Star City because he thinks Green Arrow was giving him the stink eye, hitting on Mera, getting drunk and crashing Aquaman’s seahorse, bringing home triplet sea nymph’s despite the Mera’s house rules on guests after midnight, literally crashing Batman’s birthday party because (in Namor’s own words) “f*&$ that guy, I know Tony Stark and he’s no Tony Stark”, and finally hitting on Mera.

Basically its sort of a superhero version of either King of Queens (Namor playing Jerry Stiller’s part) or a reverse Two and a Half Men. I think it would be comedy gold.