CHLegacyofGhostsBanner

In this installment of Critical Hit – A Major Spoilers Podcast: A bet has been made, the die is cast, and now we learn the fate of The Assistant.

Visit the Major Spoilers store for Critical Hit and Major Spoilers merchandise!

Character sheets for characters at level 17 are available at members.majorspoilers.com

At Major Spoilers, we strive to create original content that you find interesting and entertaining. If you would like to support our efforts, please become a patron today.

Finally Friday for June 24, 2016 - So you wanna make a Star Trek fan film...

Major Spoilers Question of the Day: Unrequited Love Edition

1. June 25, 2016 at 9:18 am — Reply

Omg, this episode, whyyyyyyyyyyy?
    *makes sad, dying noises

Next week cannot come fast enough.

2. June 25, 2016 at 2:56 pm — Reply

First Smith, then Torq, now this..? Please get him back!!!

3. The Queen's Obedient Cousin
    June 25, 2016 at 6:38 pm — Reply

I love that Rodrigo doesn’t try to overplay the Assistant’s emotions, or tease the players by telling them how they feel about walking out on it. He just describes a simple action — it keeps looking at you as you walk out, Randus — and lets everyone fill in their own reactions. And lets Brian describe his own botch later.

Wondering whether the “HOW COULD KET POSSIBLY LOSE AT GAMBLING TO ANYONE” crowd is going to start frothing at the mouth over this episode again.

• June 25, 2016 at 7:11 pm — Reply

Ugh, Rodrigo is a beautiful mastermind. That whole scene was so intense. Maybe Randus can make another assistant and trade her for his original? As far as I’m concerned there’s *two* rescue missions now.

As for Ket, I feel like while he’s a very skilled gambler, he’s still playing a game of chance. Seasoned veterans in poker championships can lose to an amateur just because of how their cards play out.

If Ket *does* bring this lady into the Kobold Alley, I’d be worried for him later if they ever met up in the tournament.

• The Queen's Obedient Cousin
        June 26, 2016 at 2:18 pm — Reply

Man, I thought the “promise her Kobold Alley” gambit was so cool, and I was so disappointed when it didn’t work out. Fascinated to see Gui bringing it up again, but I had not thought at all about the possibility of Ket then facing her as a challenge after she’s already beat him. What an interesting long-term story possibility.

• Tim
        June 29, 2016 at 11:20 am — Reply

Also remember that Ket made and failed an arcana check partway through the game. It’s very possible there was some funny business going on.

• Crystal Groves
          June 29, 2016 at 12:40 pm — Reply

It took me a while to catch it (mostly because I didn’t want to go back and relive the tragedy) but I noticed that too. I wonder if the others could have done an arcana check or helped.
          Looking back at the stakes I can’t believe that they didn’t even check to make sure she *has* the rune. Her bluff is massive.

• Tim
            June 29, 2016 at 9:20 pm — Reply

I know! I’m hoping they find out she cheated and use that to blackmail her into getting Assistant back.

• June 25, 2016 at 10:37 pm — Reply

Let’s face it, Ket won previously when the games were narrative, but this game involved dice rolls. ;)

4. Ricco
    June 25, 2016 at 11:34 pm — Reply

Oh God… I have this thing where I feel way more emotional when animals are involved then humans.

I had to go hug my cat and pet her for a few minutes to feel better after this.

You monsters! Randus, why did you not promise to make her a new one! Shame mister! SHAME!!!

• The Queen's Obedient Cousin
      June 26, 2016 at 2:37 pm — Reply

“Why didn’t he promise to make her a new one?” I doubt he has the tools and the materials on hand for something so complicated. He doesn’t have a workshop right now, and the party sure didn’t have the time. That said, I wonder if he COULD make her one. The original Assistant was a piece of tech recovered from an Exilarchy outpost, wasn’t it? He just may not have the tech to build another one, even if he did have the time and tools and space.

This raises all sorts of questions for me that really shows my ignorance of D&D rules. Maybe Randus could make her a little robot, but the Assistant is a familiar. Can she even have a familiar if she isn’t granted one as a class feature? Are there rules for giving away your familiar? I assume he’d be able to get a new familiar if the old one died or was destroyed, but can he have a new one if the old one is out there in someone else’s possession? Or is the Assistant just permanently his familiar, but currently under orders to hang out with someone else?

5. June 26, 2016 at 11:45 am — Reply

Wow… that’s one hell of a gambler… I’m actually kinda worried for Ket. If he gets her to join Kobold Alley, she may become a major adversary for him later… and if not, someone else quite possibly will, and he’ll also be known as the guy who passed on introducing it to her…

Hang in there, Ket! Hang in there Randus!

6. June 26, 2016 at 6:10 pm — Reply

Of all the games Ket has played why did he had to lose this one! I’m so sad :(

7. June 29, 2016 at 11:24 pm — Reply

Oh no! Not Assistant! :(

8. Jackie
    July 1, 2016 at 11:51 pm — Reply

I almost started crying, but since I listen to this on my way to work I sucked in those tears! I can’t wait to see what happens but my heart broke!

9. Michael
    September 17, 2016 at 7:25 pm — Reply

My god she’s a cheater! Sure Rob didn’t roll well, but there was certainly something to that arcana check.