Back in the days when DC still had a meaningful multiverse (before they took it away, brought it back, took it away, hypertimed it, brought it back then rebooted the whole schmageggi), one of my favorite titles was the Roy Thomas-penned ‘All-Star Squadron’, a book with took pride in accepting that ALL the classic stories happened.  In fact, they spent a number of issues just taking ridiculous goofy concepts and making them work for modern audience, like the JSA’s trips to the other planets in our solar system, complete with aliens on each.  It was a book full of history and quasi-mythology, spearheaded by a man who loved the characters because he read the original stories as a child, and it’s one concept that I’m sure is never coming back.  Not only has most of the cast been reworked/revamped or erased from continuity, it leans on history that the New DC has explicitly disavowed, leading to today’s forever-retconned query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is also sad to think that there’s no chance that anyone wants to bring back ‘Hee Haw’, but only for about a minute and a half, asking: What’s your favorite bit of pop culture that you can almost guarantee is never coming back?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Top Five Properties that Deserve a Comic Book

[Television] Meet Superman

1. June 16, 2016 at 1:00 pm — Reply

That’s a tough one because every single one of them is coming back. Guess I’ll go with cartridge based gaming consoles, like NES or Sega Genesis. Those things are far superior and collectible than discs, not to mention digital downloads when you don’t even own your games anymore.

• Jason Burke
      June 16, 2016 at 3:11 pm — Reply

Funny enough that you mention old school cartridges. There is a rumor floating about that Nintendo is considering bringing back the cartridge by using flash based memory because it is cheap and so much faster than optical disks. The other gaming systems only use the disks now to install the games on hard drives. Blu-Ray is way too slow to play the games from the disk directly. We’ll have to wait and see, but I’m with you. I really liked the cartridge over the disks.

2. Mike
    June 16, 2016 at 6:45 pm — Reply

Megan’s XLR will never be coming back. Neither with Metalocalpse. I have come to accept this fact, but it makes me a little sad when I rewatch the shows.

• June 16, 2016 at 7:32 pm — Reply

Brendan Small still claims that there’s hope of seeing the big Metalocalypse finale someday. Here’s hoping…

3. June 16, 2016 at 8:04 pm — Reply

The Avengers. The real ones, those that Kurt Busiek once wrote.

Also, the Defenders.

4. June 16, 2016 at 8:42 pm — Reply

I was a big fan of the old Star Wars Expanded Universe, and while many concepts are slowly making their way to canon by way of the new movies, cartoons and other official sources, there are plenty of characters I’m fairly certain we won’t see again (Tenel Ka, Boba Fett’s granddaughter Mirta Gev, Talon Karrde, etc.).

Still holding out hope they’ll find a way to bring Thrawn over to canon, though, and I’ll hold that hope til the day I die (and maybe even after).