This morning, during my daily walk, I listened to a fantastic discussion over H.P. Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness. It may be his most famous work, as it adds the most information to the C’thulhu Mythos. four years ago, Guillermo del Toro really wanted to make a faithful adaptation of the tale, but to this date, no one has funded the horror movie. Del Toro isn’t the only director who has an aesthetic that aligns with what we know of Lovecraft – John Carpenter and Tim Burton could also bring a unique and terrifying take on the story.

Which brings us to today’s question of the day (you can sometimes abbreviate at it as MS-QfotheD), “What director would you most like to see take on a Lovecraft tale in movie form?”

The comment section is below, and we await the best answers!

[Movie] You must watch the EVE short film

[Movies] Time to check out another awesome trailer for Kubo and the Two Strings

1. April 28, 2016 at 12:10 pm — Reply

Its hard to come up with anyone better suited to big budget Cthulhu movie than Del Toro.

2. pupil_of_nienna
    April 28, 2016 at 3:27 pm — Reply

Darren Aronofsky, the Fountain anyone?

3. April 28, 2016 at 3:57 pm — Reply

I’d be interested to see Michael Haneke’s take, purely because so much of Lovecraft – and Mountains of Madness in particular, is based in an almost entirely slow, quiet dread, incomprehensible encounters with alien constructs, the horror in discovery of an ancient foreign civilization… and if there’s anyone who can bring about a feeling of dread and discomfort with very still, long takes, it’s him.

Make no mistake, I hate that bastard for the way his films make me feel – which is why he gets my vote.

• April 28, 2016 at 4:03 pm — Reply

Oh, and Stephen – I forgot to ask: At the Mountains of Madness is one of my favourite stories of his. I’d love to know what it was in particular that you were listening to. Thanks!

4. Daniel Langsdale
    April 28, 2016 at 4:24 pm — Reply

I think that Joel & Ethan Coen could bring a nice balance of human protagonists against just the right feel of unsettling “offness.”

5. 春咲絵門
    April 28, 2016 at 6:14 pm — Reply

I vote John Carpenter! Because he already did it with “The Thing.”

Maybe Zack Snyder because he’s really good at dark and brooding movies that have lots of strange visuals? I’m totally kidding, but now that I think about it…

6. Brad Will
    April 28, 2016 at 7:22 pm — Reply

Andrew Tarkovsky (but he has been dead for 30 years) or Lars Von Trier.

• Brad Will
      April 28, 2016 at 7:40 pm — Reply

Stupid phone auto corrected “Andrei” to “Andrew.” Ugh.

7. Gehrigan