A few years ago I realized a hidden truth of pop culture: Many bad (or merely okay) shows are remembered for their excellent opening sequence.  ‘Battle Of The Planets’ is a fine example, as the overall product was pretty good, but the opening theme and narration were legendary.  The original ‘Star Trek’ series is an example of a pretty great show made even better by an excellent opening, leading to today’s prefatory query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) figures that ‘Mystery Science Theatre 3000’ has to rank right up there, asking: Which opening sequence is the best of ’em all?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[Fan Film] Hobbes & Me gives a new take on an old classic

[Solicitations] Bone is back!

1. DamienR
    April 27, 2016 at 12:13 pm — Reply

Star Trek for sure, but can I say ‘Baywatch’? Please?

2. April 27, 2016 at 2:14 pm — Reply

Top 3 in no particular order: Knight Rider, MacGyver and Miami Vice.

3. Mark D Harris
    April 27, 2016 at 2:16 pm — Reply

I always thought the Thundercats opening was pretty good.

4. bakimono
    April 27, 2016 at 5:07 pm — Reply

I wanted to add Fraggle Rock in for myself, and my wife threw in her opinion from the other room for CSI:Miami.
    Seems that many of the shows that I love had your basic ‘here’s some clips form the show’ type openings. Which while they can be cool, especially with a rockin theme, just don’t hit the same way as a unique opening credits sequence does.
    And while it might have been cheesy as al get-out, as was most things about the show, gotta admit that the MST3K intro always got me pumped for more bots… but that might have just been the theme again, yeah?

5. Ron
    April 27, 2016 at 11:19 pm — Reply

Jonny Quest. Honorable mention: C.O.P.S.

6. April 28, 2016 at 6:58 am — Reply

I did not like COPS opening sequence, but it sure was striking, disturbing even.

Saint Seyia, Cybaster, Transformers, all had excellent openings. So did the 1966 Batman TV show.

Still, I will vote for Babylon 5.

7. May 2, 2016 at 5:05 am — Reply

Star Blazers, A-Team, Battle of the Planets and Super Friends after the first season. (No Order)