I don’t know who the first superhero to go into battle wearing a skirt is (I suspect it’s Mary Marvel, circa 1942), but I am 100% that, immediately afterward, somebody made a joke about panty shots.  It’s a common refrain, especially given the shortness of recent uniforms (like Michael Turner Supergirl, whose skirt is actually more of a belt), but one that I’ve never really understood the point of.  The use of skirts in certain Super Sentai uniforms has vastly improved the design of the costumes, and as far as I’m concerned, a magical girl superhero without a skirt isn’t a real magical girl superhero at all, leading to today’s A-Line query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced “Kerr-uh”, because I’ve been doing it for nigh on 40 years) thinks that the ‘Supergirl’ TV show proves that you can pull it off (the flying, not the skirt), asking: Flying In A Skirt – Yea Or Nay?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

The Flash #50 Review

[Preview] Faith #4

1. April 23, 2016 at 1:47 pm — Reply

Yea, especially if there is something like sports wear underneath.

2. Tazsul
    April 23, 2016 at 1:52 pm — Reply

I say Aye!
    If it’s to the benefit of the character’s design go for it. I will say I feel more comfortable watching the “magic unflippable skirt” trope in action over endless panty shots. That said I’m not going to rain on someone’s artistic choice. I’ve seen the up skirt trope used as a plot device, (the reveal of which twin it is on screen) subverted (Skorts) and played straight. There is a lot you can work with here.

There are no bad tropes. Just lazy writing.

3. Cody Dixon
    April 23, 2016 at 5:33 pm — Reply

Yea as long as there’s shorts or something like that underneath.

4. HappyHermit
    April 23, 2016 at 10:49 pm — Reply

Skirts are awesome, we should have more of them, not just for females though. All the cool kids used to wear “skirts” gladiators, vikings, Thor (if he was wearing much of anything anything), Conan (same), etc.

None of the guys in skirts get to fly though :-(

5. April 23, 2016 at 10:57 pm — Reply

As long as the design is there to look good instead of being raw fanservice, then sure. I’m totally fine with people rocking a skirt. Being a big eastern animation fan though, I am absolutely sick of skirts-as-fanservice-excucse. Thus the clause about it being there to look good. It just has to be done tastefully.

And if you wanna do the fanservice thing, then great… but seriously, get more creative. Fanservice has gotten suuuuper lazy over the years.

6. April 24, 2016 at 9:25 am — Reply

It can be done tastefully, so yay, I guess. But it seems to me that even your example of some Supergirl portrayals shows that in practice it doesn’t always work.