There are a great many movies and TV episodes that I can quote over and over (as anyone who’s ever heard one of our many lovely podcasts can probably attest), but there are a select few that have multiple moments of dialogue brilliance.  ‘Jaws’ is a noteworthy one, from Quint’s Indianapolis monologue to “You go in the cage?” to the immortal “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”  Heck, it even originated ‘That’s some bad hat, Harry,” leading to today’s eminently quotable query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) favors the films of Kevin Smith, since they include many of the best ‘Jaws’ quotes built-in along with their own dialogue, asking: What film has the greatest number of quotable quotes, i.e. “You’re gonna need a bigger boat”?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

LEGO DC Super Heroes: Gotham City Cycle Chase Speed Build and Review

[Shot Film] Robbie and Stephen Amell make their first feature film

1. March 28, 2016 at 1:38 pm — Reply

For me, easily Star Wars. Many of the famous ones, like Yoda’s lines are from sequels, but still.

2. March 28, 2016 at 2:00 pm — Reply

The Star Wars film franchise as a whole. I quite literally haven’t gone a day in the past decade or so without saying at least one Star Wars quote a day in various conversations, even if I didn’t intend for it to come out as a direct Star Wars quote, such as “Never tell me the odds”, “I have a bad feeling about this”, “I find your lack of faith disturbing” and the over-exaggerated “NOOOOOOOOOOO”. I also use variations of several quotes frequently, but I’m not counting those in my usage.

For single movies, I’d have to go with “Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie” (I’m not counting the series itself because, well, then I’d have an ever harder time choosing). I’ve lost count how many times I’ve responded to something with “I’m feeling a sensation altogether new to me, and frankly, I love it!” or sang “Normal View” over and over.

3. bakimono
    March 28, 2016 at 4:05 pm — Reply

Far as my family is concerned, there could be no single answer, though we do seem to prefer spoofy comedy type movies to pull from.
    Mel Brooks stuff (‘specially Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs), Princess Bride, The Addam’s Family movies, and Master of Disguise (don’t judge us! It’s dumb, but seems to hit the right tone of dumb…) would be tough to beat as a quotable collection for us.

• March 28, 2016 at 9:25 pm — Reply

I just watched “Master of Disguise” today (first time I’ve seen it since about a year after it came out) and realized how many quotes from it my adult nephew uses.

4. Kirby
    March 28, 2016 at 6:13 pm — Reply

Between the Big Lebowski & Animal House, I have a quote for just about every occasion.

I realize “Like that’s just your opinion man.” “You’re on double-secret probation.”

5. Loudmouth Takashi Miike
    March 29, 2016 at 12:10 am — Reply

There are great movies with great performances that lend themselves to be quoted. And then there’s Tommy Wiseau’s The Room. Terrible movie with a hall-of-fame terrible performance that has a terrible script.

“I did not hit her. I did not. Oh hi Mark.”

“So anyway how’s your sex life?”

“It is not over. Everybody betrayed me. I’m fed up with this world.”

6. Gehrigan
    March 29, 2016 at 6:59 am — Reply

Princess Bride, no contest. No one can watch this movie and not come out without a handful of awesome quotes. “As you wish”
    “I am not left handed”
    “My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.”

7. Frank
    March 29, 2016 at 8:51 am — Reply

Inconceivable… that it is not Princess Bride.

8. Ian
    March 29, 2016 at 7:39 pm — Reply

Swingers!

9. Mike
    March 30, 2016 at 10:45 pm — Reply

Big Trouble in Little China is definitely up there, at least in my group of friends.

10. Ron
    April 2, 2016 at 10:21 pm — Reply

Airplane! “Surely, you can’t be serious!” “I am serious… and don’t call me Shirley!”