As of this writing, the superhero boom is still in full swing, with ‘Deadpool’ breaking records, ‘Batman V Superman’ poised to kick off a DC Cinematic Universe, and a slate of heroes well into the next decade.  At this rate, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the likes of Northguard or Doctor Hormone making their way to the big screen, and somebody needs to get Jon Hamm attached to something comic book related before his chin gets any squarer.

Indeed, Hamm’s not the only actor I’d like to see taking on a high-profile role somewhere in a super-duper flick, as the photoshopped images of Isla Fisher as Hawkwoman on my desktop will prove, leading us to today’s casting-couch query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) still thinks that, after several superhero-adjacent appearances, Emma Stone should be a shoo-in for some sort of super-type, maybe Saturn Girl, asking: What actor do you think would make the best potential superhero actor, assuming the genre doesn’t crash tomorrow?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[Gaming] Psyonix and Twitch announce Rocket League Championship Series

[Rebirth] DC Entertainment announce Wonder Con Rebirth panel details

1. March 2, 2016 at 2:08 pm — Reply

None I know about. I am always for casting new, unknown actors to well known character roles. They don’t come with a package like established big stars. Let the story and their actual acting skills shine, not their reputation, status or amount of gossip magazine cover appearances. Then, when/if they pull it off, stick with them and don’t reboot franchise after five years. That’s how we get future Harrison Fords. Well, maybe not quite Harrison Fords, but at least Robert Downey Jr.’s.

• March 2, 2016 at 6:11 pm — Reply

But… Robert Downey Junior had been around for decades before Iron Man? He was in ‘Weird Science’ thirty years ago…

• March 2, 2016 at 6:20 pm — Reply

Yes, I meant that he still wasn’t a big mainstream star before first Iron Man. Its less about age and more about star status to me.

• March 2, 2016 at 9:44 pm — Reply

I’m guessing this is a cultural thing as he has been a fairly well known name in the US since as far back as I can remember, though for some time in the mid to late 1990’s it was for legal troubles as much as (if not more than) his movie and TV work.

• March 3, 2016 at 2:41 am — Reply

It might be, or that I really don’t follow these things so much. I couldn’t name a single movie he was in before Iron Man.

2. Loudmouth Takashi Miike
    March 2, 2016 at 6:58 pm — Reply

Being casted now in the ongoing cinematic superhero universes would only hurt the big budget A-list actors. Imagine Leonardo DiCaprio or Tom Cruise being casted as Namor or whoever is still available. Too risky for their careers.

Jackie Earle Haley’s comeback (a few years ago) that included a great performance in Watchmen is something that I think interested the majority of the superhero audience. Questions like “where has he been?,” were common. Unfortunately for him that particular superhero did not have a planned trilogy.

My guess… Viggo Mortensen. He could pull off the reflective superhero. Something like Mark Gruenwald’s Quasar or Jim Starlin’s Warlock. Different enough superhero role that the audience may get hooked plus a familiar enough actor that a studio would be willing to risk a large bet on.