If you know that I’m a fan of Super Sentai, then you probably realize that I enjoy some giant robot/rubber suit monster battles.  Whether Transformers, Megazords or the Shogun Warriors of a my childhood, a big ol’ metal humanoid is always a hit in my book.  Heck, my favorite episode of ‘Lost In Space’ is the one where the robot grows to giant size and Will has to fight his way through its circuits to save the day, completely ignoring the fact that leaving it giant was cooler all around, leading us to today’s Gokai-Oh query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) will always vote from the heart, and also from the two-foot plastic Gaiking I had as a child, which shot missiles from its chest, asking: Which giant robot is the best giant robot?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[Movies] Production of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 begins, Kurt Russell and Elizabeth Debicki join the cast

[Preview] Bloodshot Reborn #11

1. February 17, 2016 at 11:35 am — Reply

It’s hard to not think of Omega Supreme when you’re talking about cool giant robots, but I’m going to give a very honorable mention to one giant robot that I always liked and that we all should remember fondly: Frankenstein “Frankie” Junior.

2. February 17, 2016 at 11:36 am — Reply

Several Transformers are pretty cool, but none of them more so than Metroplex. City that transforms to a robot is so impressive that you can’t not respect it. One of the new Transformers video games also has the best transformation cutscene of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKmSdHWdxbo

3. Mike
    February 17, 2016 at 12:35 pm — Reply

Megas XLR, with Gurren Lagann as a close 2nd. Both run on awesome, but Megas has a better theme song.

• February 17, 2016 at 5:06 pm — Reply

I’m gonna agree with Mike here, Megas runs on the rule of cool enhanced by all manner of ‘cuz the plot demanded it’ powerups of awesomeness. And has the kickin’ theme, to boot.
      Though the Big ‘O’ was cool, too. As I sit here and think about it, there really are a metric ton of Giant ‘bots out there aren’t there?

4. February 17, 2016 at 12:43 pm — Reply

I’m a fan of a lot of giant robots, but the one that will always have a place in my heart is Raydeen (or Raideen) from the 70s Shogun Warriors line. I knew nothing about the character outside of toy commercials and the Marvel comic, but it was rad having a robot toy almost as tall as me.

5. Daniel Langsdale
    February 17, 2016 at 6:10 pm — Reply

I’m going to have to go with the Iron Giant. Any giant robot that hero-worships Superman gets a leg up in the vote.

• the boss
      February 18, 2016 at 8:14 am — Reply

you are right there. could there be a cooler robot, don’t think so.

6. February 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm — Reply

As much as I want to say older mecha like Leopardon or Dragon Ceasar, I have to go with GokaiOh and GoZyuDrill/Rex/Jin. Not only were they pretty cool on their own, but they also had other forms that drew from past Super Sentai teams, either through additional or replacement robots in the Greater Power formations, or as alternate modes inspired by past mecha.

And if I can only choose one, I’ll still pick both by way of the combined GoZyu GokaiOh.

7. Loudmouth Takashi Miike
    February 17, 2016 at 7:18 pm — Reply

The Host that eventually takes over Japan in the 90’s Valiant comic universe’s future. This robot covers all of Japan and when Japan is threaten… the island of Japan transforms into a Godzilla-looking robot and blasts into space.

8. February 17, 2016 at 11:48 pm — Reply

Since we have Transformers covered, do any of you remember the short Saturday-morning cartoon Mighty Orbots?

9. DamienR
    February 18, 2016 at 10:05 am — Reply

While I will also give a shout-out to Frankie Jr., for some odd combination of syndication and left-over colonial connections, I grew up watching Starfleet (X-Bomber), sow hen you talk big robots, Big Dai X always comes to mind first!

10. b003
    February 18, 2016 at 7:49 pm — Reply

I like all those but I have a soft spot for Johnny Sooko’s Flying Robot and Astoboy.

11. February 19, 2016 at 5:06 am — Reply

Even though I never owned it as a child, (Though I wanted to) I would say Vehicle Voltron. 15 cars that not only created a mighty robot but could also be combined into 3 Mighty ships or played with individually.
    Tranzor Z was a fun toy to have as well. They couldn’t sell it today because of the missles from the glove.