Last week, DC Entertainment announced it was launching a whole new line of comics based on Warner Bros. Entertainment’s Hanna-Barbera properties. Some radically updated characters and settings, while more seem toned down. But, because this is the Internet, the only opinion that matters is YOURS!

What is your first reaction to the new HB books? (Comment)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Geek History Lesson #99 - Deadpool

[Solicitations] VIZ Media for February 2016

1. February 2, 2016 at 11:02 am — Reply

Waiting to pass judgement. Afterlife with Archie took a property and made an outstanding series. Perhaps DC….can….do….the same?

2. Sydness
    February 2, 2016 at 11:41 am — Reply

I don’t see this being…. interesting. Archie was lightning in a bottle and only worked because while it was steeped in nostalgia it was an outdated concept and needed a reimagining.

The old HB cartoons and properties were in their way timeless and therefore wouldn’t take to a revamp in the same way. For an example see just about every Scooby Doo cartoon relaunch.

3. February 2, 2016 at 11:46 am — Reply

I’m waiting. As I said in another post about the topic, I do think it has the potential to be good if handled well. I’m not getting myself excited for it, but I’m not putting it off before it even arrives either.

4. Erik Waddell
    February 2, 2016 at 12:14 pm — Reply

I am always on the lookout for new comics I can read with my (young) kids. The current Scooby-Doo Team-Up comics are some of the best out there.

I will withhold judgement until I read the first issue of this new series. So long as it stays true to the characters and that goofy, slightly spooky, Scooby-Doo feel I’m sure it will be good. If not…

5. PumkinMilk
    February 2, 2016 at 4:47 pm — Reply

Waiting cause it could be a really cool read. I’m pretty willing to try something new and there’s no reason to not read them

6. February 2, 2016 at 6:05 pm — Reply

Noticed the lack of a “mostly indifferent” or “meh” option. I’d fit right into there~

7. Galoopa
    February 2, 2016 at 7:10 pm — Reply

I’m not terribly confident it will be good, but I’ve been surprised before, so will wait and see.

8. February 2, 2016 at 9:56 pm — Reply

The real problem here is that the Hanna-Barbera cartoons didn’t really have much substance to them.

Scooby-Doo is a classic example. The kids show up at some haunted place. They get chased around. The ghost falls into a trap. They unmask the ghost. “I would have gotten away with it, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!” It’s a lot of fun for 20 minutes, but there was never any kind of overarching story. I think this is why a lot of the movies felt really strange. They were trying to put a story on top of something that wasn’t built to hold a story.

So if they do this, they really need to built things almost from the ground up.

9. February 4, 2016 at 11:38 am — Reply

I’m mostly waiting to pass judgment until I can read Future Quest; doing Jonny Quest right is make or break for me.