As a child of the 1980s, I have long had a great, hidden shame: I preferred the Go-Bots to the Transformers…

…That sound you heard was all the other Gen-Xers gasping in shock and backing away.  Because of availability, the price-point and the more portable size, 12-year-old me was all about Leader-1 and the Tonka team.  Their cartoon was gawdawful, but to be honest, Transformers isn’t exactly Shakespeare, either.  In the year 2016, I wouldn’t necessarily agree with tweenage me on this point, but it does bring us to today’s second-place query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as all, “misquoted”) never liked that Scooter, though, that ‘bot had issues, asking: Which character knockoffs do you find as (or more) compelling than the characters they’re duplicating?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

LEGO DC Superheroes: Kryptonite Interception

[Movies] Warcraft television spot teases epic war

1. January 25, 2016 at 11:53 am — Reply

I would have to go with Watchmen cast here. Not necessarily better but no worse by any means.

2. Loudmouth Takashi Miike
    January 25, 2016 at 3:09 pm — Reply

My favorite Superman knockoff is Invincible. Invincible, the comic book, is hard to stereotype. A given issue can range from gory battle to family drama to secret government agency to interdimensional saga.

There are other Superman knockoffs but Invincible has been fighting the good fight since 2003 without too many vacations, shipping delays and whatever else influences a monthly schedule. For example, Supreme, Captain Marvel, Irredeemable, etc. just have not been consistently published.

3. January 25, 2016 at 5:04 pm — Reply

I’m still in shock that they integrated Go-Bots as part of the Transformers multiverse. It still seems weird to me.

Although they didn’t really last more than a few issues (if they made it past one), I really enjoyed the TMNT knock-offs such as Pre-Teen Dirty Gene Kung-Fu Kangaroos and Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters.

I also like the Squadron Supreme. While I do enjoy the Justice League and their own versions of the JL as villains rather than heroes, there is just something unique about the Squadron Supreme’s characters that makes them more than simply twisted copies of the Justice League.

4. Chux
    January 26, 2016 at 7:40 am — Reply

Valuant comics. In the 90s, I always considered them a knockoff Marvel and DC, butthet ended up delivering better stories than them.

• Chux
      January 26, 2016 at 7:43 am — Reply

Sorry, I meant Valiant comics

5. January 26, 2016 at 8:30 pm — Reply

Well, according to the all-powerful google-machine, Digimon is considered a pokemon knock-off. Now don’t get me wrong, I love Pokemon. I’m pretty sure I legitimately asked Santa for a gyarados when I but a wee nerdling. However, given any choice, I would’ve watched the original Digimon every time.