Diamond Comic Distributors proudly announces the winners of its 2015 Diamond Gem Awards, selected exclusively by comic book specialty retailers and recognized within the industry as the pinnacle of sales achievement for publishers, industry executives, and creators.
Image Comics was voted by retailers as the 2015 Comic Book Publisher of the Year (Over 4% Market Share). Image also took home five Gem Awards overall, including 2015 Comic Book of the Year (Under $3.00) and Best New Comic Series for Paper Girls #1 from Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang; Reprint TP of the Year for The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 3, and Anthology of the Year for Island #1.
DC Entertainment took home five Gem Awards, including Backlist Publisher of the Year and Best Original Graphic Novel of the Year for Batman: Earth One HC Volume 2, among others. Marvel Comics received three Gem Awards, including Star Wars #1 voted as Comic Book of the Year (Over $3.00). Dark Horse was recognized as 2015’s Best Free Comic Book Day Title for Fight Club/The Goon/The Strain.
Gem Awards were also presented to BOOM! Studios (Comic Book Publisher of the Year, Under 4% Market Share, Best All-Ages Series for Lumberjanes, and Best All-Ages Graphic Novel for Lumberjanes Volume One TP); VIZ Media (Manga Publisher of the Year), Oni Press, Funko, Wizards of the Coast, and others.
“The Gem Awards give retailers an opportunity to recognize and congratulate the suppliers, titles, and products that served to help grow their businesses in 2015,” said Diamond President & CEO Steve Geppi. “Our suppliers produced and published an enormous amount of top-quality titles and products that really supported retailers and the entire industry, and we thank all of the retailers who took the time from their busy schedules to vote and acknowledge those efforts.”
Nominees for the Diamond Gem Awards were chosen by a panel of Diamond product specialists based on their overall impact on the industry, while comics and related merchandise were chosen on the merits of their sales performance and quality from 2015. Winners were then selected by members of the most critical segment that serves the comic book-buying public — comic book specialty retailers across the United States and worldwide.
2015 Diamond Gem Award Suppliers of the Year
- 2015 Comic Book Publisher of the Year Over 4%: Image Comics
- 2015 Comic Book Publisher of the year Under 4%: BOOM! Studios
- 2015 Backlist Publisher of the year: DC Entertainment
- 2015 Top Dollar Comic Book Publisher of the Year: Marvel Comics
- 2015 Manga Publisher of the Year: Viz Media
- 2015 Game Manufacturer of the Year: Wizards of the Coast
- 2015 Toy Manufacturer of the Year: Funko
2015 Diamond Gem Award Products of the Year
- 2015 Comic Book of the Year Under $3.00: Paper Girls #1, Image Comics
- 2015 Comic Book of the Year Over $3.00: Star Wars #1, Marvel Comics
- 2015 Top Dollar Comic Book of the Year: Star Wars #1, Marvel Comics
- 2015 Licensed Comic Book of the Year: Rick & Morty #1, Oni Press
- 2015 Anthology of the Year: Island #1, Image Comics
- 2015 Best New Comic Book Series: Paper Girls, Image Comics
- 2015 Best All-Ages Series: Lumberjanes, BOOM! Studios
- 2015 Original GN of the Year: Batman: Earth One Volume 2 HC, DC Comics from DC Entertainment
- 2015 Indie GN of the Year: We Can Never Go Home Again, Black Mask Comics
- 2015 Reprint TP/HC of the Year: The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 3, Image Comics
- 2015 Licensed TP/HC of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road TP, DC Comics from DC Entertainment
- 2015 Manga TP of the Year: Attack on Titan Volume 16 GN, Kodansha Comics
- 2015 All-Ages Original/Reprint GN TP of the Year: Lumberjanes TP Volume 1, BOOM! Studios
- 2015 Magazine of the Year: MAD Magazine from DC Entertainment
- 2015 Trade Book of the Year: Darth Vader & Friends HC, Touchstone Books
- 2015 Best Free Comic Book Day Book: FCBD
- 2015 Fight Club/The Goon/The Strain, Dark Horse Comics
- 2015 Game Product of the Year: Magic: The Gathering TCG
- 2015 Origins Expansion Deck, Wizards of the Coast
- 2015 Toy Product of the Year: POP! Guardians of the Galaxy: Dancing Groot Vinyl Figure, Funko
- 2015 Toy Line of the Year: POP! Figures, Funko
- 2015 Collectable Statue of the Year: DC Comics Bombshells: The Joker and Harley Quinn Statue, DC Collectibles from DC Entertainment
ABOUT DIAMOND COMIC DISTRIBUTORS (DCD)—Diamond is at the nexus of comics and pop culture. Based in Baltimore, MD, DCD is the world’s largest distributor of English-language comic books, graphic novels, and related pop-culture merchandise, serving thousands of retailers worldwide. For more information, visit Diamond on the web at www.diamondcomics.com.