It was leaked earlier, but now Paramount Pictures has released the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond, just ahead of its release this week, during Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

From director Justin Lin comes STAR TREK BEYOND starring Idris Elba, Chris Pine, Simon Pegg, Zach Quinto, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin and Karl Urban. In theaters July 22nd.

What did you think?

[Solicitations] Diamond Select Toys for Summer 2016

COMICS PORTAL: Trade Paperback or Individual Issues?

1. December 14, 2015 at 10:44 am — Reply

I think this is as far from the spirit of Star Trek as you can get.

Star Trek is about exploration, about humanity, how we find out place in the stars, and how we deal with the complexities of not only ourselves, but other alien species. It isn’t about crazy stunts and action scenes.

Even discounting the series (I’m currently watching an episode of DS9 where Miles is struggling with depression and PTSD), the movies themselves always had a deeper underlying meaning to them that the more recent ones seem to.

• Arbor Day
      December 14, 2015 at 11:53 am — Reply

I dunno, with that “this is where the frontier pushes back” line, my first thought was Firefly in the Browncoats versus the Alliance. If that’s going to be the underlying theme of the movie, civilization vs individual freedom, then I’m all for it. Its something that Star Trek hasn’t really done since Enterprise.

• December 16, 2015 at 8:28 am — Reply

But those aren’t things you’re going to see in a teaser trailer.

2. December 14, 2015 at 1:25 pm — Reply

Are the reptilians baddies a redesigned Gorn? That’s my guess. The heavies in ‘Beyond’ are the Gorn. Otherwise looks OK, same vein as the first two. More action, less cerebral, but hoping they surprise us with some big ideas.

3. December 14, 2015 at 6:43 pm — Reply

Are you sure this is an Star Trek movie? Because sure it doesn’t look like it

• MOSUGOJI
      December 17, 2015 at 11:41 am — Reply

This is a Star Trek movie? I’m puzzled now. I’ve watched Star Trek for decades and if you hadn’t mentioned this supposedly being called Star Trek I would never have noticed. I thought it was just another of those annoying auto-play ads for some space video game for those with ADHD.

4. Matt Milan
    December 17, 2015 at 8:38 am — Reply

I threw up a little in my mouth watching this. It is an abomination.