Comic Professionals came together Saturday night, September 26, 2015 to honor their peers during the presentation of the 2015 Harvey Awards, sponsored by Presenting Sponsors Cards, Comics & Collectibles and the Baltimore Comic-Con; Gold Sponsors BOOM! Studios, Comic WOW!, DC Entertainment, Diamond Comic Distributors, and Geppi’s Entertainment Museum; Silver Sponsors Akuna Entertainment, ComicMix, Insight Studios Group, Painted Visions Comics, and Valiant; and Gift Bag Sponsors Abrams ComicArts, Archie Comic Publications, Book Blaze, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Entertainment, Diamond Select Toys, Dynamite Entertainment, HarperCollins, IDW, Legendary, Popfun Collectibles, Joe Staton/Tribune Media Services, and Valiant Entertainment. The banquette to honor those nominated and the winners in more than 20 categories was hosted by the Baltimore Comic-Con and Cards, Comics & Collectibles.
Named in honor of Harvey Kurtzman, the Harvey Awards recognize outstanding achievement in the field of comics, and is the only industry award both nominated and selected by comic professionals. First awarded in 1988, it is one the industries oldest and most respected awards.
Vivek Tiwary, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Fifth Beatle, Tony Award-winning Broadway producer, and founder of multi-platform arts and entertainment company Tiwary Entertainment Group, acted as host and Master of Ceremonies for this year’s event.
Special thanks go to the sponsors who generously donated to the 2015 Harvey Gift Bags, including: Abrams ComicArts, Archie Comic Publications, Book Blaze, BOOM! Studios, Dark Horse Comics, DC Entertainment, Diamond Select Toys, Dynamite Entertainment, HarperCollins, IDW, Legendary, Popfun Collectibles, Joe Staton/Tribune Media Services, and Valiant Entertainment.
This year’s winners include:
- Best Letterer: Jack Morelli, AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE, Archie Comic Publications
- Best Colorist: Dave Stewart, HELLBOY IN HELL, Dark Horse Comics
- Best Syndicated Strip or Panel: DICK TRACY, Joe Staton and Mike Curtis, Tribune Media Services
- Best Online Comics Work: THE PRIVATE EYE, Brian K. Vaughan, Marcos Martin, and Muntsa Vicente, panelsyndicate.com
- Best American Edition of Foreign Material: BLACKSAD: AMARILLO, Dark Horse
- Best Inker: Danny Miki, BATMAN, DC Comics
- Best New Series: SOUTHERN BASTARDS, Image Comics
- Most Promising New Talent: Chad Lambert, “KILL ME” FROM DARK HORSE PRESENTS, Dark Horse Comics
- Special Award for Humor in Comics: Chip Zdarsky, SEX CRIMINALS, Image Comics
- Best Original Graphic Publication for Younger Readers: LUMBERJANES, BOOM! Box (BOOM! Studios)
- Best Graphic Album Previously Published: MOUSE GUARD: BALDWIN THE BRAVE AND OTHER TALES HC, Archaia/BOOM! Studios
- Best Anthology: DARK HORSE PRESENTS, Dark Horse Comics
- Best Domestic Reprint Project: STERANKO NICK FURY AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. ARTIST’S EDITION, IDW
- Best Cover Artist: Fiona Staples, SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Biographical, Historical, or Journalistic Presentation: TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: THE ULTIMATE VISUAL HISTORY, Andrew Farago, Insight Editions
- Special Award for Excellence in Presentation: LITTLE NEMO: DREAM ANOTHER DREAM, Andrew Carl, Josh O’Neill, and Chris Stevens, Locust Moon Press
- Best Graphic Album Original: JIM HENSON’S THE MUSICAL MONSTERS OF TURKEY HOLLOW, Archaia/BOOM! Studios
- Best Continuing or Limited Series: SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Writer: Mark Waid, DAREDEVIL, Marvel Comics
- Best Artist: Fiona Staples, SAGA, Image Comics
- Best Cartoonist: Terry Moore, RACHEL RISING, Abstract Studios
- Best Single Issue or Story: “Breaking Out”, DARK HORSE PRESENTS #35, Dark Horse Comics
- Harvey Kurtzman Hall of Fame Award: Will Eisner
- Dick Giordano Humanitarian of the Year Award: Denis Kitchen
Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement Award: Russ Heath
In addition, the Baltimore Comic-Con would like to thank those individuals who presented at this year’s award ceremony, including: Darwyn Cooke, Jules Feiffer, Francesco Francavilla, Steve Geppi, Mike Gold, Dean Haspiel, Denis Kitchen, Charlie Kochman, Laura Martin, John Ostrander, David Petersen, Sara Richard, Mark Waid, and Marv Wolfman. We would also like to thank Mark Wheatley for his contributions to our voting ballots, program guide for the evening, and awards ceremony presentation, Jerry Carr for assisting with the awards ceremony presentation, and Glenn Hauman for his “web mastery”.
The Baltimore Comic-Con will host the Harvey Awards for the eleventh year during the 17th annual show, taking place September 2-4, 2016.
In the coming months, look for more announcements from the Baltimore Comic-Con. We are looking forward to highlighting our guests, the Harvey Awards, industry exclusives, and programming. The latest developments can always be found on our website, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook pages.