There have been a lot of truly funny situation comedies on television over the years: The sublime personal comedy of ‘Taxi’; the good-hearted clownery of ‘Gilligan’s Island’; the button-down humor of ‘The Bob Newhart Show.’  Even if you get away from the type of sitcom that I personally love (like ‘Scrubs!’), you have your ‘Cheers’, your ‘Dick Van Dyke Show’, and the wonderfully bizarre variety comedy of ‘The Monkees.’  I could literally populate the entire front page of Major Spoilers with my list of also-rans and oh-yeahs and how-could-I-forgets, which leads us to today’s query, recorded live in front of a studio audience…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) will go to the mat for ‘How I Met Your Mother’ in my top five, but gives my top spot to ‘WKRP’, asking: Which show do you believe to be the best sitcom ever?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Zach on Film: Film as Faith

Black Canary #3 Review

1. Malone_hasco
    August 29, 2015 at 12:01 pm — Reply

Finnish comedy called “Spede Show” is the best of all time. I really cant say about American ones, I’ve watched plenty but not followed anything like religiously. They were always kind of a throwaway pastime to me, nothing that special.

2. August 29, 2015 at 12:25 pm — Reply

I’m not a huge sitcom fan, but there have been many that I’ve watched over the years that could qualify as the best. This would make a great Top 5 episode if it hasn’t already been done.

I animation counts, then “The Simpsons” wins in a landslide.

If not, then I think “M*A*S*H” wins in a narrow victory over a Top 5 that includes “I Love Lucy”, “Cheers”, “Good Times”, and “All In the Family”.

3. Galoopa
    August 29, 2015 at 12:38 pm — Reply

Better off ted

4. Pete Jahn
    August 29, 2015 at 2:01 pm — Reply

M*A*S*H. Although if Batman, the TV show, can be called a sitcom, Batman.

5. Kirby
    August 29, 2015 at 3:58 pm — Reply

Top animated sitcoms (in no particular order): King of the Hill, Futurama, Venture Bros., The Critic, South Park, Duckman, Mission Hill, first 8 seasons of Simpsons.

Top live-action sitcoms: Cheers, Married… with Children, Frasier, Parks and Recreation, WKRP in Cincinnati, Frasier

• August 30, 2015 at 5:23 am — Reply

Oh, Married… with children is great! One of the few I still watch occasionally if its on.

6. Ron
    August 29, 2015 at 8:07 pm — Reply

Archer.

7. Brenning Dragonbred
    August 30, 2015 at 7:15 am — Reply

Toss up between The Simpsons and Roseanne for me, with The Monkees, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Fraiser and Golden Girls trailing close behind. Hard to pick one when I’m not much of a sitcom fan, but these all were genuinely enjoyable to me.

8. gary
    August 30, 2015 at 3:29 pm — Reply

Hard to believe now one’s thrown up Seinfeld?