In my day-to-day life as Official Widget Homework Checker, your humble MS-QOTD has come to two conclusions: First, sixth grade classes were a LONG time ago. Fortunately, I have a long memory, but it’s worth noting that most of what I do remember is due to ‘Schoolhouse Rock.’ Mr. Morton gets me though diagramming sentences, Naughty Number 9 through upper-level multiplication, and Verb…

Well, Verb is just plain awesome. The songs and lessons from Saturday mornings past have stuck with me far longer than the instruction of Mrs. Copp, leading us to today’s matriculatory query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) still thinks that a large portion of the backlash against Pluto having been reclassified is because of the ‘Interplanetary Janet’ song, asking: Which of your favorite pop culture experiences was the best learning experience?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[Television] Go behind the scenes of Daredevil

[Movies] Captain America: Civil War Debuts Teams

1. Jeff P.
    August 27, 2015 at 11:32 am — Reply

Don’t forget about Bill.

2. DamienR
    August 27, 2015 at 11:44 am — Reply

Sesame Street, the Old School versions of which I gladly pass long to my 3-yo boys.

I dare you to try NOT to sing any of these now, without having to look up the lyrics:

The Alligator King, The King of Eight, Lovely Eleven Morning, The Ladybug’s Picnic.

3. August 27, 2015 at 1:00 pm — Reply

Captain Planet is pretty much the only one I remember being somewhat educational unless you count one very scary kids animation in Finnish that warned about thin lake ice. They showed it every winter and it was creepy.

4. Robbie
    August 27, 2015 at 9:29 pm — Reply

Ladies and gentlemen, the nations of the world by Yakko Warner….

• August 28, 2015 at 1:22 pm — Reply

It actually infuriated my 6th grade teacher that a few of my classmates and I aced a few tests thanks to Animaniacs. The nations of the world, the US state capitols and a few other tests were easy thanks to some of the songs and other segments on the show.

5. Armaan
    August 28, 2015 at 2:03 am — Reply

The Magic School bus – and I really, really, really wish they’d make more Magic School Bus games now. Educational games – like the Jumpstart series by Knowledge Adventure – were my childhood.

6. Kirby
    August 28, 2015 at 5:52 am — Reply

Going to second the Magic School Bus, I learned more about geology from that show than I did in some actual science classes.

7. Frank
    August 28, 2015 at 8:15 am — Reply

I have a soft spot for Schoolhouse Rock from the 70’s.
    Lolly Lolly Lolly, get your adverbs here!

Now, the ride of Paul Revere \ Set the nation on its ear \ And the shot at Lexington heard ’round the world

8. August 28, 2015 at 1:27 pm — Reply

Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and Sesame Street taught me more than I learned in my first few years of school. But to be fair, I had a pretty lousy school and learned more from the PSA segments after G.I. Joe and Jem than I did in my first few years of school.

• Brenning Dragonbred
      August 28, 2015 at 6:58 pm — Reply

Didn’t think of it until now, but I also had this Spider-Man math game based loosely on the animated series from the 1990s. I struggle with Dyscalculia so that game was difficult, but it helped me memorize some tricks to do a little better when dealing with simple math problems.