Sometimes I feel like I’m far too harsh about the comics of the 1990s, seeing as how the decade brought us ‘Astro City’, a new Ghost Rider, the adventures of the New Warriors and a lot of other trully good stuff.  With more than a decade of perspective, I can even see some good in the worst excesses of the era.  I’m still a little leery of the murder and misogyny of the worst 90s comics, but the seeds of today’s independent resurgence, as well as an increase in the number of titles which aren’t all about the superhero helps to soften the blow of the decade, which brings us to today’s slammin’, jammin’ query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds Faithful Spoilerites to check carefully the debut dates before voting for your fave-raves, asking: Who is the coolest superhero to debut in the 1990s?

1. Alisha
    August 3, 2015 at 11:45 am — Reply

Tommy Oliver (October 1993), the most awesome of all the Power Rangers no matter what color he is wearing (though Green is definitely the best of the best).

Also, Hellboy (December 1993), Deadpool (February 1991) and Kon-El/Conner Kent Superboy (June 1993).

2. Armaan
    August 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm — Reply

Would it be… wrong of me to want to vote Cable purely out of admiration for how awesomely useful he is in the Facebook Avengers Alliance game? It’s comicsing wrong, I know, it’s just.. he’s SO USEFUL.

• August 3, 2015 at 1:24 pm — Reply

Your vote is your vote and may be used as you see fit…

3. August 3, 2015 at 1:13 pm — Reply

Gotta be Hellboy. I own all the Library Editions to prove it.

4. Robbie
    August 3, 2015 at 9:50 pm — Reply

I am going to veer over into Alisha’s spectrum with another green character–Kyle Rayner.

For me, he was one of those fresh takes that keep the comic industry from becoming stagnant–consider how interesting Firestorm was in the 70s and the BWA HA HA HA JLI/A/E was in the 80s. Kyle was like that for me, a subtle twist on some established lore than yielded some good stories.

• Alisha
      August 4, 2015 at 11:05 am — Reply

Kyle came just short of making my own list, so I’m glad somebody picked him.

5. Ron