The decade of the 1960s brought about much change (and, since it’s comics we’re dealing with, even more illusion of change), thanks to the resurgence of upstart Marvel Comics in the superhero game, posing the first credible threat to National Periodical (DC Comics) market share in some years.  The Batman television series intensified interest in comics as well, giving birth to a resurgence of new characters (mostly superheroes) the likes of which hadn’t been seen since before World War II.  A number of recent mega-popular movie franchise characters made their bow in years that featured a six in the third column as well, which brings us to today’s swingin’ query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds Faithful Spoilerites to check carefully the debut dates before voting for your fave-raves, asking: Who is the coolest superhero to debut in the 1960s?

Zach on Film: How your movie ticket for Godzilla paid for the SMOSH movie

[Friday Sing-Along] Zelda Medley

1. Alisha
    July 31, 2015 at 1:01 pm — Reply

Much like the 1940’s, the 60’s is a really tough call since so many great characters came out in that decade.

This time I do have an absolute top coolest choice, which would be my favorite Marvel character, Spider-Man Peter Parker (Debut: August 1962).

But there were some close seconds. The Falcon Sam Wilson (Debut: September 1969), Elongated Man (May 1960), Metamorpho (January 1965) and Daredevil Matt Murdock (April 1964).

But in a decade that gave us X-Men, The Hulk, Zatanna and so many, many other characters, it isn’t an easy choice to pick just one (or even a few) over so m any others.

2. July 31, 2015 at 1:21 pm — Reply

These decade questions are pretty tough, but one standout for me is Hank McCoy. Of all the new characters in the 60s he’s had some of the best staying power and the most interesting character development.

As a life-long LSH fan, I’ll give a shout out to Element Lad, too, for sentimental reasons.

3. Armaan
    July 31, 2015 at 2:04 pm — Reply

As much as I love the other characters – Spider-Man tops the list, no question about it. I think the Beast and Cyclops come second.

4. Rob
    July 31, 2015 at 3:26 pm — Reply

So many iconic heroes from the dawn of the silver age, X Men, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer. But my favourite has to be Peter Parker, the amazing Spider-Man!

5. Kirby
    July 31, 2015 at 5:32 pm — Reply

The Elongated Man, the greatest superhero of the sixties, an example of a trope subversing superhero.

Metal Men would be right after.

6. Luis Dantas
    August 1, 2015 at 7:24 am — Reply

Spider-Man, probably, but I want to make special mention of the Doom Patrol, the Avengers (back when they did exist) and the Teen Titans.

7. Oldcomicfan
    August 3, 2015 at 10:12 pm — Reply

For me, it would also be Spider-Man. After reading mostly DC comics of the sixties, and kiddie comics like Richie Rich and Little Lulu the first time I picked up a Spider-Man book it was an eye-opener! REAL story telling that extended across multiple issues. None of the “Imaginary Story” crap to reboot the series after major changes. How many times did Superman marry Lois Lane, Lana Lang, or Lori Lemaris and spawn a Super Family only to have it turn out to be a cheat – “Sorry! Imaginary Story, kids! It never happened”? (Forget for the moment that they are ALL imaginary stories). As soon as I was old enough to get a job, I subscribed to Spider-Man through the mail and kept the subscription active from 1972 up until the Clone Saga, when I finally dumped it. There were a lot of really good stories there, and even the Spider-Mobile did not put me off my feed – but the Clone Saga finally did it. I didn’t go back to DC comics until the early eighties.