I was born in the now faraway year of 1970, a year when little of note actually occurred.  The Summer Of Love was already gone, the gas crisis was not yet upon us, and, worst of all, my favorite band finally broke up, after having shed a member each year since ’68.  The end of The Monkees notwithstanding, 1970’s most notable achievement in my memory was either the debut of ‘All My Children’ (though I was always a ‘Guiding Light’ fan when I was home in the afternoons) or Jack Kirby’s debut on ‘Jimmy Olsen’, which is the dawn of the Fourth World at DC Comics, leading us to today’s self-nativity query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) does almost share a birth date with Rob Van Dam and DMX, though, so that’s interesting, asking: What’s the most interesting thing that happened in the year YOU were born?

Lizard People, Dear Reader #007: The Emperor of NASA

[SDCC'15] Geoff Johns announces Justice League: Gods and Men one-shots

1. July 10, 2015 at 12:06 pm — Reply

Back in the moderately dark days of 1991, just after America came off the coke binge that was the 80s, but were afraid the world would end in 9 short years, a small team at SEGA of Japan led by Yuji Naka had a quandry: SEGA didn’t have a real mascot, and they were being thrashed sales wise by Nintendo and their red-hatted plumbernaut. They got together and tried to create something new, that hadn’t been seen before. Unfortunately, their first attempt caught on fire then sank into the swamp. But the second try yielded what is still considered to be the OTHER great video game mascot: Sonic The Hedgehog. My father bought a SEGA Genesis that year, and the first video game I can remember playing is the original Sonic the Hedgehog (no spin-dash, no invincibility frames [don’t touch the same thing twice before you get your rings back], and definitely no homing attack), so when I say my first video game is older than I am, I’m not exaggerating (June 23, 1991-I wasn’t born until November). So I think that may be the single most interesting thing that happened in ’91. Oh, something about communism I think, but that wasn’t nearly as important.

2. July 10, 2015 at 12:13 pm — Reply

Hmm, 1980. First rock Concert in Soviet Union or New York Islanders winning Stanley Cup. You’re not going to see either again.

• July 10, 2015 at 12:40 pm — Reply

C’mon… you never know, a second Soviet Union could form…

3. Russell Catt
    July 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm — Reply

i was born in 1979, a tumultuous year.
    The USSR invaded Afghanistan, setting up all sorts of future tragedies.
    3-mile Island nuclear incident, which had all sorts of impacts on the energy industry.
    Ayatollah Khomeini takes power in Iran.
    Saddam Hussein becomes the President in Iraq.

Oh, and the YMCA got to #2 in the charts!
    Good times!

4. StellarLeader
    July 10, 2015 at 12:29 pm — Reply

1981:
    – “Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the lost Ark” is released in theaters
    – The first recognized cases of AIDS are reported
    – dictator Augusto Pinochet is sworn as President of Chile for the next 8 years. (Bad times for my country)
    – “Donkey Kong” is released
    – Beyoncé, Justin Timberlake, Elijah Wood, Stephen Amell, Daniel Bryan and Chris Evans are born
    – Bob Marley dies

This was pretty interesting! Thanks Matthew!

5. July 10, 2015 at 1:00 pm — Reply

1973…
    Watergate happened, and made the naming of every subsequent scandal really stupid.
    Bruce Lee died…bummer.
    AC/DC, The Dictators, Kansas and Vardis were established as bands.

Deep Purple’s ‘Who Do We Think We Are?’
    The Stooges ‘Raw Power’
    Led Zeppelin’s ‘Houses of the Holy’
    Slade’s ‘Sladest’
    were all released.

Plus Godzilla vs Megalon came out!

was released

6. Mauther
    July 10, 2015 at 2:49 pm — Reply

1974; The year of Watergate and Patti Hearst. I was tempted to go with the 10 cent Beer Night stunt pulled by the Cleveland Indians MLB franchise. One of the greatest “What’s the worst that could happen” examples in all of marketing.

But I am instead going with October 30, the Rumble in the Jungle between Foreman and Ali. One of the great sports dramas of all time.

7. Rob
    July 10, 2015 at 2:53 pm — Reply

1974
    The F16 fighter jet makes it’s first flight.
    Richard Milhouse Nixon resigns.
    Patty Herst robs a bank.
    Rubik’s cube invented.

8. Alisha
    July 10, 2015 at 3:38 pm — Reply

1979.

“Dukes of Hazard” made it’s debut.
    McDonalds introduced the Happy Meal.
    Pioneer 11 became the first spacecraft to visit Saturn and the Voyager 1 probe captured photos of Jupiter’s rings.

9. Armaan
    July 10, 2015 at 10:53 pm — Reply

1990 –
    Simpsons aired for the first time.

10. LeftenantAnalogy
    July 11, 2015 at 4:17 pm — Reply

I was born in 1986, the year of a little meltdown in a place called Chernobyl.