I clearly remember the first time I was consciously aware that I was listening to The Doors: I was on some sort of high school trip to Salina, KS, during which several of my classmates and I snuck off to The House Of Sight And Sound, a record store in the old-school record store tradition, where I bought the cassette version of their greatest hits, a Watchmen smiley face pin, some iron-on patches and other tchotchkes, all of which were theoretically designed to make me one of the cool kids.  The best part of the purchase was that album (though I still have the jacket that I ironed all the patches to, for… some reason?), a tape that never failed me, with no weak spots, skip tracks or embarrassing bits to be found.  Nowadays, I have a more rounded view of their work and its relative merits and failings, but the music of Morrison, Densmore, Manzarek and Krieger grabbed me that day, and never let go, leading us to today’s eerily charismatic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) broke on through to the other side, but only as part of my legendary Kool-Aid Man cosplay, asking: What was the music that moved you the most in your youth?

Speed Build and Review of LEGO Jurassic World Indominus Rex Breakout #75919

Secret Wars #4 Review

1. Alisha
    July 6, 2015 at 11:34 am — Reply

Weird Al. I’m not even joking. I went through hell during my years of treatment for cancer and the health problems that arose from them as a child, but his music always put a smile on my face and made me believe that everything would be okay as long as I could laugh or smile. Even all these years later as I face excruciating pain every day and see so many terrible things happening in the world, I prefer to keep a positive outlook.

• talismanhex
      July 6, 2015 at 10:09 pm — Reply

Weird Al puts on the best concerts EVER!

2. Jeffrey Corbello
    July 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm — Reply

Led Zeppelin.
    I remember getting a couple of CDs for my 14th birthday and being thrilled.
    Also Stone Temple Pilots. My first concert.

3. Starks Scraps
    July 6, 2015 at 4:15 pm — Reply

Back in 1991, tiny toon adventures had an episode where they played TMBG’s particle man and Istanbul (not Constantinople). This was the first time I had ever heard TMBG and I ran out and bought the album Flood. My ten year old mind was blown. I was just hitting an age where not only did I think that I was far more clever than everyone around me, I knew it as a fact. Then these two guys (a band with only two members?! Whaaaat?) show up and make me realize that there is a world of people out there who were just like me. They were nerdy, they were hiding jokes in music that people were overlooking, they were playing accordions, they were loving the fact that they were smart! As I grew my tastes changed and I bought and sold hundreds (literally) of CDs, but I never ever sold Flood. I never bought any other TMBG CDs until my mid twenties when I bought their entire back catalogue in a weekend and certified them as my all time favorite, and most influential band.

4. July 6, 2015 at 8:27 pm — Reply

Enya.

No, I know it’s stupid, but it’s Enya. She was really the first ‘New Age’ music I heard when I was younger and a lot of it is because of the person who introduced me to her, who was my best friend at the time and I really liked the melodious and fantasyness of her music. (It should be said that this was the point where I was watching Sailor Moon and reading Lord of the Rings and I really had a thing for fairies and unicorns.)

• Armaan
      July 6, 2015 at 10:08 pm — Reply

I don’t think that’s stupid at all. Anywhere Is and Carribean Blue were huge for me.

5. talismanhex
    July 6, 2015 at 10:04 pm — Reply

YES! The Doors are my 4th most favoritest musical treat! This is cool! Good choice, sir! Good choice.