Cards and games of chance are a fascinating subject, with every card player having scientific, pseudoscientific or flat-out superstitious secrets of their success.  You have to figure that Han Solo has put in his time at a table, but the same might be said of Richard Grayson, while Ben Grimm’s prowess with a deck of cards is well-documented.  Given the nature of the game, there are a number of strategies that could lead one to success, which leads us to today’s bluff-calling query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) thinks that Jim Kirk takes the risks, but Obi-Wan Kenobi might be better at the bluff, asking: Which fictional character do you think is the best poker player, and WHY?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Speed Build and Review of LEGO Jurassic World T-Rex Tracker Set #75918

[Talk Back] Game of Thrones Season 5

1. June 15, 2015 at 11:30 am — Reply

Probably Emma Frost. It would otherwise be Professor X, but he wouldn’t use telepathy to cheat in poker. Emma however…

• Alisha
      June 15, 2015 at 12:38 pm — Reply

As little as she wears most of the time, that might be a sufficient distraction for many players. She’d only need to cheat on those that either aren’t interested or have a high level of willpower/restraint.

It is the same reason I refuse to play TCGs with cute women in swimsuits, I’d be too distracted to focus on the game and my strategy. And the sad thing is I’m not even joking, I really won’t play unless they put on a t-shirt or something. I know, I know, I’m terrible.

2. Alisha
    June 15, 2015 at 12:40 pm — Reply

I’m going to go with a tie between Darth Vader, any Mandalorian and other helmeted characters. You wouldn’t be able to read their faces, so they could have the worst hand in the game and as long as they don’t act nervous or something, they could bluff their way through.

3. Frederick Pagliarulo a.k.a. Darth Macho
    June 15, 2015 at 12:49 pm — Reply

When in doubt, let the Wookie win!

4. The Boss
    June 15, 2015 at 2:39 pm — Reply

Batman – he just doesn’t have a tell

Joker – same reason

5. Kirby
    June 15, 2015 at 4:21 pm — Reply

The Question, what does he have to tell?

• The Boss
      June 15, 2015 at 4:28 pm — Reply

in case you are not joking a tell is a movement, gesture, or a give a way to indicate the person is bluffing or holding a good hand. A twitch, a slight smile, any giveaway.

• Kirby
        June 16, 2015 at 5:46 am — Reply

Yes, I know what a tell is. A lot in my experience have been smiles or blinks… so faceless man wins.

6. Armaan
    June 15, 2015 at 11:08 pm — Reply

Doctor Doom.
    Nobody. Would be better at poker. Than Doctor Doom.
    Especially when he wins, can you imagine the gloating?
    “Fools! You were bereft of sanity to hope your paltry two pair could win against the Full House and might of Dooom!”
    “Doom will not just call, you pathetic peasant, but raise you, for Doom is used to high stakes!”
    “Richards! Curse you for seeing through my bluff, it’s almost as if you have an invisible ally peeking over my shoulder somehow!”
    Hm, waitaiminnit..

7. AmFan15
    June 16, 2015 at 12:01 am — Reply

Sherlock Holmes. There is a reason he’s known as the Great Detective. The man is the absolute master of reading people. He could not only deduce who has the best hand, but also what they do for a living, where they live, their marital status, their financial status, and what they had to eat that day.