Yesterday’s afternoon boredom led me to the backwaters of the TFwiki, a massive collection of all knowledge about the Autobots and Decepticons, including my favorite bits: The continuity gaffes and animation errors.  During one such article, I was accidentally linked to a listing of the various deaths of Optimus Prime, reminding me that the guy has a tendency to sacrifice himself ALL THE TIME.  Weirdly, this only makes me more likely to follow him, as the natural expectation is that any dangerous situations will only kill him, and that only for a few episodes, which leads us to today’s Orson-Welles-voiced query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) appreciates what a difficult situation Ultra Magnus was thrust into, but honestly, that guy couldn’t lead a horse to water, asking: What fictional leader-type would you follow unquestioningly, the way I would follow Optimus Prime?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Sailor Moon Crystal Act 22 Review

Convergence: Booster Gold #2 Review

1. Dan
    May 28, 2015 at 11:27 am — Reply

Wonder Woman.

2. May 28, 2015 at 11:51 am — Reply

Captain America (Steve Rogers). Not only I would benefit from superior leadership and tactics, but I’d also be sure to always be on the right side.

3. Alisha
    May 28, 2015 at 12:53 pm — Reply

Does Zordon count? Or The Doctor? I’m honestly not sure.

Otherwise, I’m torn between Max Tennyson (grandfather of Ben Tennyson), Doggie Kruger (head of the Earth branch of SPD), Ka D’Argo (“Farscape”), Optimus Prime (because he’s Optimus freakin Prime) and Darth Vader. And before anyone says “But Darth Vader is the bad guy!”, that actually depends on point of view. To most of the galaxy, the Empire is the legitimate government and military, where the Rebel Alliance is technically a terrorist group.

4. May 28, 2015 at 12:58 pm — Reply

Besides Prime, I’d follow Hawk or Flint from G.I.Joe (but not Duke…he gets mind controlled too much) and Robin (specifically the Teen Titans cartoon version.)

-c

5. Chris
    May 28, 2015 at 1:08 pm — Reply

I know it’s not an answer to the question but I would’nt for the life of me follow Rodimus. He was the worst Prime ever. I’d take Magnus over him, especially the new IDW Magnus.

6. May 28, 2015 at 2:25 pm — Reply

I’m with you on Optimus Prime. The only other leader types I could think of that I would unquestionably follow is Yoda or Obi-Wan.

7. May 28, 2015 at 7:51 pm — Reply

I would follow Captain America, he is incredibly inspiring, and a stand up guy. He inspires you to do the right thing no matter who or how many are against you. Doing the right thing no matter how hard the fight will be is the side I will choose every time.

8. Rome
    May 28, 2015 at 11:03 pm — Reply

The Doctor.

If the blue box shows up on my doorstep I will do whatever the crazy-person inside says to do.

9. Robbie
    May 28, 2015 at 11:08 pm — Reply

Captain Marvel (Shazam!) – I feel that there is a lot of untapped leadership in that character. If an innocent kid gifted with the wisdom of Solomon told me to do something, I would do it.

10. Armaan
    May 28, 2015 at 11:45 pm — Reply

Superman, for me. There’s no hero who’d inspire me more. I mean, Spider-Man’s my all time favourite, but I can’t imagine me giving him UNQUESTIONING loyalty. There’s be some second guessing just for my own reassurance. Just to make sure he’s really thought it through, or to see if there’s another way or something. But if I have powers and Superman says “Punch that big red target over there that says Don’t Punch Me, it’ll save the universe!” I’m punching it.

• Alisha
      May 29, 2015 at 11:40 am — Reply

I’m actually on the opposite side to some degree. I would trust Superman, but not with blind loyalty. It seems to me like he doesn’t always utilize the best heroes for a situation and just throws himself in harms way because he’s invulnerable. That might help win the battle, but if he had asked/told someone else to do something, it may have won the war.

Spider-Man isn’t that much different in some respects, but at the same time I feel like I can understand him quite a bit more than I do Superman. Spidey’s thoughts may as well be my own if I were in his shoes, so it would be easier for me to follow him without second guessing his orders.

11. Bill
    May 29, 2015 at 6:25 am — Reply

Captain America, definitely. Even in the story lines where he loses his strength and stamina, he’s still Captain America, fighting and leading with the same tenacity and devotion to a cause.

Also, Captain Benjamin Sisko. In my mind, he’s the perfect blend of Kirk and Picard. He forged a working relationship with a fractured provisional government, played a pivotal role in defeating the Dominion and opening the Gamma Quadrant, and even went toe-to-toe with Q in the boxing ring. Plus, it never hurts to be with the guy with a pantheon on his side…

12. AmFan15
    May 30, 2015 at 2:16 am — Reply

Captain America, all the way. Even before he got his powers, Steve Rogers was always trying to go the extra mile, and do what was best for others, no matter how badly the odds were stacked against him.

After Cap would be Sherlock Holmes…because even though I might not understand his reasoning, he always knows EXACTLY what’s going on, and what to do to come out on top.