Ever since the earliest days of comic books (thanks primarily to prolific comic writer and architect of many super-cool things, Gardner Fox and his creation of Hawkman circa 1940) there have always been warriors with wings, from Centaur Comics Air-Man to Astro City’s Winged Victory and back, with a number of angels, hawks, and condors fluttering along the path.  In many ways, “having big ol’ wings” is one of the archetypical super-powers, owing perhaps to the ancient legends of Icarus, and most every super-team has at least one such member aboard.  With so many of ’em around, the natural thing for us, as fans of the properties, is to figure out who’d win in a fight, which leads to today’s fine-feathered query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has a dark horse candidate in mind, what with being able to fly in airless space and all that, but won’t try to influence the vote, asking: What winged warrior reins supreme in your mind?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Critical Hit #301: Good Cop, Bad Cop, Nerd Cop, Dead Cop (Modern City Tales)

Donald Duck #1 Review

1. Alisha
    May 23, 2015 at 1:55 pm — Reply

Tough choice considering there are several characters across various mediums that I would vote for as top spot for their specific medium (such as comics, animation, etc.).

Top of the list from all mediums combined, I have to go with the DCAU version of Hawkgirl in both animation and the DCAU related comics. Considering I’m otherwise not a big fan of Hawkgirl in general, this says a lot for how well she was portrayed within the setting by the writers, the animators/artists and the voice actress that all gave this incarnation life.

• May 23, 2015 at 2:59 pm — Reply

Animated Hawkgirl had great voice actress. I think she was the best in Justice League/Unlimited animation, which says a lot since they did great job all round in that one.

• May 23, 2015 at 5:45 pm — Reply

Animated Hawkgirl is a very close second to my pick, in my mind… ;)

2. May 23, 2015 at 2:57 pm — Reply

Its hard to choose between Archangel and Hawkman. Both have pretty distinct look and same kind of aggressive approach to things.

3. Ejaz F
    May 23, 2015 at 7:14 pm — Reply

I’d say Namor. He can swim to ridiculous depths and pressures and then straight back up without suffering any ill effects. He’s one of the strongest people on Marvel Earth and he can fly super fast despite having teeny tiny wings on his ankles. He’s always spouting great lines and has epic eyebrows.

• Ejaz F
      May 23, 2015 at 7:17 pm — Reply

I assume he wouldn’t count though since his wings aren’t big enough. Such rank wing bigotry (wingotry?) on such a reputable site is an outrage!

• May 23, 2015 at 8:38 pm — Reply

This is MS-QOTD territory, sir or madam as the case may be! ;) We don’t hold with all that ’round these parts, because we love comics and we know you do too, and blah blah blah that’s our slogan, baby!

• May 23, 2015 at 8:37 pm — Reply

Wings is wings, my friend!

4. bob
    May 23, 2015 at 9:54 pm — Reply

Although I liked Angel and all the stuff done with him over the years,I always go back to the Original Hawkman. The Silver Age was good too but everything after that confused the crap out of me.
    Dawnstar deserves an honourable mention as she was more than just a flyer she also was an unparalleled tracker.

5. Kirby
    May 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm — Reply

I’d go with DCAU Hawkgirl.

I really love the concept of a Nth-Metal Man, once used it in a friend’s game and was delighted to see it put in Multiversity.

Dawnstar is another good one.

6. May 24, 2015 at 12:18 pm — Reply

I am going to go obscure and say Zauriel. He only existed to fill in for Hawkman, but I liked him far better as a concept.

• Alisha
      May 24, 2015 at 12:59 pm — Reply

I actually loved the character early on. I know a ton of people hated him and Plastic Man because all they saw was someone trying to be interchangable with Hawkman or Elongated Man, I thought they were good fun characters who deserved the chance to shine on their own merits rather than being considered stand-ins for others. I thought the idea of an outcast angel working alongside heroes and trying to understand them was a great concept.