The first full trailer for JEM and the Holograms has arrived. You will need to watch this and tell us if this awful or truly outrageous.

As a small-town girl catapults from underground video sensation to global superstar, she and her three sisters begin a one-in-a-million journey of discovering that some talents are too special to keep hidden. In Universal Pictures’ JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS, four aspiring musicians will take the world by storm when they see that the key to creating your own destiny lies in finding your own voice.

Directed by Jon M. Chu (Step Up series, G.I. Joe: Retaliation), the musical adventure stars Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, Aurora Perrineau, Hayley Kiyoko, Ryan Guzman, Molly Ringwald and Juliette Lewis. JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS, based on the iconic Hasbro animated TV series, is written by Ryan Landels and produced by Chu, Jason Blum for Blumhouse Productions, Scooter Braun for SB Projects, Bennett Schneir, and Brian Goldner and Stephen Davis of Hasbro Studios.

Major Spoilers Question Of The Day: Massive Multiplayer Crossover Edition

[Television] First trailer for The Muppets docu show lands all over the place

1. Alisha
    May 13, 2015 at 11:54 am — Reply

Can’t say the trailer made me excited, but I’ll still give it a watch.

Also: The actress who plays Kimber is 18, so I don’t have to feel quite so bad if I end up having a crush on her like I always did her animated version.

2. May 13, 2015 at 12:45 pm — Reply

Every generation needs a voice. Yours just happens to be a recycled one form over two decades ago.

3. Guillaume Bérubé
    May 13, 2015 at 1:28 pm — Reply

This is the perfect example of a trailer spoiling the plot

4. Erik Waddell
    May 14, 2015 at 5:52 am — Reply

Where is the computer and the holographic technology? Is this even Jem?

• Alisha
      May 14, 2015 at 10:09 am — Reply

That is why I wasn’t excited.

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of the musical aspect of the cartoon. What appealed to me about the series was that it was pretty much a semi sci-fi series aimed at girls, something that wasn’t very common. If the cartoon hadn’t had that sci-fi element I probably would have passed it over. I won’t say the music wasn’t important since it was part of the basis of the series, but the key word to me is “part”.

I’m definitely going to give the movie a watch, but as of right now I’m a little sad that it seems to be a name only adaptation.

5. May 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm — Reply

It doesn’t look like a bad movie. That being said, the plot has been done before, and not only in a general sense–the Josie and the Pussycats movie had basically the same plot.

I just don’t understand the point. It’s not like Jem is something that’s going to get them a huge amount of name recognition and those people who do recognize it are going to be put off by the fact that it shares nothing more than character names from the original work. I’m wondering we’ll find out that parts of the plot that are more in line with the original cartoon are still there but are just being downplayed for a general audience that might think the concept is just a little too out there. Another possibility is that the producers were worried the film would be seen as a ripoff of Hannah Montana. The audience that this movie is more than likely aimed at would be much more familiar with that show than Jem.