The innernets are abuzz with the response to the first images of Jared Leto as The Joker for the upcoming ‘Suicide Squad’ film, and there is a LOT of heated rhetoric about the reveal.  I imagine that the MSP team will be talking Mistah J in the next few days, so I’ll hold off on my feedback until then, but the response I’ve seen kind of ignores one important thing about The Joker: His look and attitude changes all the time in the comics, even moreso in his live-action outings, and one of the core tenets of his character in recent years has been the adaptability of his insanity.  Still, I’ll never tell another fan that their unhappiness with something is invalid, but I do prefer to focus on the positives of our shared hobbies, which leads us to today’s green-haired query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has never really had a great attachment to the character, but found the Jack Nicholson version to be quite entertaining, asking: Which version of the Joker is the BEST version of the Joker?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

[C2E2] Valiant Entertainment announces Bloodsquirt

[Movies] Avengers: Age of Ultron already off to a good start with $200 million

1. Frederick, aka Darth Macho
    April 26, 2015 at 11:57 am — Reply

I never expected Jack Nicholson’s Joker to ever be topped, but I was pleasantly surprised when Heath Ledger’s Joker lived up to the hype. What made the character intriguing is the mystery surrounding him. We never did get a definitive backstory, only a series of tales told by the Joker himself about how he “got these scars”. Any one of them could have been the truth, but we were never really told for certain. It really added to the chaotic nature of this villain, and left us conflicted as to whether he deserved any sympathy from the audience.

2. Doctor Dinosaur
    April 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm — Reply

M(ark ham)ill.

• TheWolverine
      April 26, 2015 at 12:47 pm — Reply

Yes. That is quite correct.

3. April 26, 2015 at 12:50 pm — Reply

It depends on if Im serious or goofy mood. Almost any joker I’ve seen works in right situation. Unfortunately Heath Ledgers Joker was pretty much the only thing I liked about Nolans Batman movies, so it suffers from that.

4. Paul
    April 26, 2015 at 2:15 pm — Reply

For me, it’s Jack Nicholson. Because he was a proper calculating psychopath.

Ledger’s Joker, feted though it rightly was, doesn’t touch Jack Napier for that cruel, focussed menace. Heath was scary because he was unpredictable. But that’s why Nicholson wins- you knew he wanted to hurt you when Ledger’s violence was almost an afterthought.

Hammill’s voice work over a very long period was a tour de force too.

5. Alisha
    April 26, 2015 at 3:49 pm — Reply

Just as Kevin Conroy is my vote for best Batman, Mark Hamill is my vote for best Joker. With very few exceptions, the DCAU just did so much right.

Though I gotta say Brent Spiner as the voice of “Young Justice” Joker wasn’t too shabby, either.

6. Andreas
    April 27, 2015 at 2:55 am — Reply

John DiMaggio was really a great Joker in “Under the red hood”! In the comics I enjoy Grant Morrisons Joker and in the live action univers Cecar Romeo holds a dear spot in my heart.

7. Mike
    April 27, 2015 at 7:17 am — Reply

Mark Hamill’s Joker in the Arkham Asylum video games. It had the awesome performance of Hamill with the kid gloves (such as they are) of the DCAU off.

8. Frank
    April 27, 2015 at 7:48 am — Reply

Mark Hamill for anything animated.
    I’m undecided on Live Action, but leaning towards Romero even though I dislike Batman ’66.