When I was a younger man, I worked in radio (I recommend it, if you don’t mind getting yelled at by strangers and the fact that there’s no money)and was always a bit puzzled by the definitions of formats. Unlike Otter Disaster, who to this day will tell you the difference between Black Metal, Thrash Metal and Paraguayan Elbow-Harp Metal, I just found songs and artists that appealed to me and let other folks figure it out. These days, most of my local stations have adopted mixed formats or the motley Jack format where they just play whatever they can afford that week, making it even more difficult for me to figure out whether I like Country, Pop or Mulch, leading us to today’s AOR query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) knows only two kinds of music; the songs I like and that other stuff, asking: If you had to choose to listen to a single musical genre FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, which one might it be?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Parker and Foreman team for Justice League United

Swords of Sorrow crossover expands to include Red Sonja and Jungle Girl

1. Kevin
    April 22, 2015 at 11:35 am — Reply

So when I was a young warthog, no a young boy, I listened to music on this thing called a radio. Ask Matthew. On this radio, one station played music I could fall asleep to. And that started me enjoying and preferring alternative music of the nineties. About the time Matthew was getting married, I got my first CD, from Eve6. One of these events matters more.

• Alisha
      April 22, 2015 at 11:44 am — Reply

Ray D. Oh? Isn’t he that multi-ethnicity accident lawyer with commercials at 3 A.M.? I didn’t know he could do music too!

2. Alisha
    April 22, 2015 at 11:42 am — Reply

This is a toughie.

On one hand, being hard of hearing (legally considered deaf), I’m leaning towards hard rock (and possibly some lighter metal) because it is easy for me to hear. Still can’t understand the lyrics without looking them up, but the actual music is easy to hear. Plus, lots of those songs sound like songs you might hear during a fight sequence, and I use them as motivation when writing scenes like that in my stories. And, of course, a lot of it works for “adult” moments (and by that, I mean it calms my nerves while doing taxes, yep!).

On the other hand, I always have enjoyed classical music. I know a part of it is due to my minor obsession with vampires, and quite a few vampire movies use classical music since vampires live such long lives, but I can enjoy it even without thinking of vampires. There is probably more classical music that I won’t get sick of than there are songs of other musical genres that I won’t eventually tire of.

3. Guillaume Bérubé
    April 22, 2015 at 11:55 am — Reply

I think I would go with old french singers. Thee is something I love about Jacques Brel’s lyrics. And I will never tire of Boris Vian’s Le Deserteur. Add in Renaud, Dutronc, Piaf and Brassens and you have a great collection of lyrics

But it breaks my heart to give up some great melodies of the other genres I love to keep those

4. Russell Catt
    April 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm — Reply

I’d lean towards UK techno.
    If I had to be more specific, I’d say the artists contained under Warp Records.

I likes me some beeps and boops. It’s like the jazz of my generation!

5. April 22, 2015 at 12:45 pm — Reply

As you mentioned above, it would be metal, dude, f***in’ metal!

6. April 22, 2015 at 1:22 pm — Reply

My music taste changes so much with current interest/mood that its impossible to decide.

7. TheWolverine
    April 22, 2015 at 2:52 pm — Reply

Rock. Some of the most interesting stories that I’ve heard have come from Rock.

Plus I hear a lot of Rock in other genres that are not labeled as such which leads me to believe that certain genres are more subjective to the individual interpretation than the individual sounds they are made out of.

So yeah, Rock.

8. Dan Langsdale
    April 22, 2015 at 3:20 pm — Reply

Folk music. And as Louis Armstrong said, “all music is folk music.”

9. Kirby
    April 22, 2015 at 4:45 pm — Reply

I’m very much a classic rock sort of guy, along the lines of Warren Zevon and Rolling Stones.