One of my great frustrations when it comes to comics is how little humanity and respect the characters are given. Marriages are broken apart with no regard, meaningful death is overturned in the name of nostalgia, Nightcrawler becomes a priest because Chris Claremont once showed him praying… To be honest, it’s one of the major reasons that I drop books, such as when I dropped my beloved ‘Legion Of Super-Heroes’ when the writers concocted a relationship between Shadow Lass and the homicidal lunatic called Earth-Man. If I had to choose the character who has been kicked in the face the hardest of late, it would be tough, but I’d probably go with Storm of the X-Men, what with the back-and-forth on her power levels, arguments over whether she does or doesn’t have a mohawk and her editorially-mandated-then-editorially-divested marriage to the Black Panther. Both in terms of her character and historical importance, Ororo deserves better, which leads us to our editorially-mandated query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) was annoyed with the abbreviated after-thought of Storm’s Avengers stint, but not as much as with the AvX marriage nonsense, asking: Which classic character from anywhere in pop culture most deserves a greater degree of respect?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Batman Eternal #52 Review

Two new Avengers: Age of Ultron trailers drop

1. Alisha
    April 3, 2015 at 12:26 pm — Reply

In general, I think a lot of the humorous characters that occupy the same setting as serious heroes need more respect. Occasionally we’ll see a character that isn’t too serious get popularity, but for the most part people complain that they “do not belong” or that the portrayal isn’t realistic. Yet in the real world, not everybody acts or thinks the same way, and there are people that use humor more often than not. One thing that irked me a while back when Plastic Man was part of the JLA was fans complaining that “He isn’t Elongated man, but apparently somebody thinks the two characters are interchangeable”. No, Plastic Man IS NOT Elongated man, but neither are they interchangeable. They are completely different individuals with different power sets and different personalities. You might as well say Batman and Superman are interchangeable because they both wear tights and capes and fight crime.

And while not quite as classic as some characters, I think Optimus Primal deserves a bit of respect from Transformers fans. Not saying you have to like him, but stop hating him because “Optimus Prime is supposed to be a truck!”. HE IS NOT OPTIMUS PRIME! He has a similar name and robot appearance, but they are two different characters. Go ahead and hate him for other reasons (and I know there are many legit reasons to hate him), but don’t hate him because you think he’s Optimus Prime when he isn’t.

2. April 3, 2015 at 2:21 pm — Reply

I’ll go with obvious answer: Aquaman. He always seem to be ridiculed, no matter he rules 3/5 of the world and is perfectly capable handling himself in any situation Justice League finds themselves in. Yet hes just “the guy who can speak to fish”.

3. Mauther
    April 3, 2015 at 3:06 pm — Reply

James Tiberius “Muthf’ng” Kirk. He’s been relegated to jokes about Shatner’s over acting and hooking up with green space babes. But the O.C. is the template that later Captains were built off of. Not just weenie Star Fleeters like Picard and Janeway, but your Adamas, and Sheridans. I’d put forth there’s even a little bit of classic Kirk in the great Admiral Ackbar (Trying saying “”We have no choice, General Calrissian! Our cruisers can’t repel firepower of that magnitude!”” in Kirk’s voice and you’ll find it rolls off the tongue.

If we’re doing comics, I’ll stick with the X-Men and go with Cyclops. They may have changed it recently (I don’t currently follow XMen) but it seems like he’s been relegated in to overbearing type A jock doucebag in both comics and films.

• April 3, 2015 at 3:18 pm — Reply

I agree with Kirk, he deserves respect as first and foremost of any spaceship captains and I say this as a Picard fan. Also, couldnt agree more on Cyclops, I used to think he was uptight and boring, until I grew up and realized that irresponsibility and childish impulsiveness from adult, let alone leader in life and death situation is really not as “cool” as it felt like 25 years ago. (looking at you Wolverine and almost any comic book superhero team leader, except Cap and Mr Fantastic)

Oh, I thought mutant Che Guevara approach with Cyclops was best thats happened to him since Claremonts finest days, as long as it lasted anyway.

• Alisha
      April 4, 2015 at 8:44 am — Reply

I keep hoping that the Kirk novels that took place after “Generations” that were co-written by Shatner will one day become canon so people will see just how resilient Kirk is. Nothing quite says “This guy must be pretty bad@$$” like showing that he can keep cheating death against all odds, and not only survive but thrive.

4. M. Walsh
    April 4, 2015 at 2:58 pm — Reply

Wonder Woman.

She gets a lot of lip-service, but it’s clear many, many people–inside the comic industry and outside–regard her as a problem character that must be figured out like an algebra problem and fixed.
    It’s evidenced by the numerous re-interpretations of her character, contradictory portrayals, and–must frustratingly–how many people, who clearly know nothing about the character, declaring they know how she’s “supposed” to be.

She is a notable character with much untapped and unrealized, who I believe is worthy of her iconic status. But I find most can’t be arsed–and unfortunately, a lot those individuals are in charge of her.