Given that I’m not much of a “sports” guy, you might be surprised to know that I was on my dormitory intermural softball team in college. Our rallying cheer was “We’ll kick your @$$ at Scrabble!”, which should give you some idea of our win/loss record. The cheer was true, however, and I am to this very day banned from Scrabble with my family because nobody believes my words. Similar bans are in play for video Jeopardy (I support this one, as I don’t like being yelled at) and for singing my go-to song, ‘Hey, Jealousy’ on Karaoke Revolution, which leads us to today’s pastime query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) will pummel you in the digital Smackdown ring, but saves the real fury for ‘Asteroids’, asking: In what game arena (video game or otherwise) do you reign supreme?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Inside the Autumnlands #5 with Kurt Busiek

TOYS: Marvel Retro Captain America gift set is on my want list!

1. April 2, 2015 at 11:51 am — Reply

While fairly out of practice now, I was once pretty dominant at Tetris and could beat just about anybody best 2 outta 3.

• April 2, 2015 at 6:16 pm — Reply

Yeah, you were a little bit of a douche about it…

Granted, we were all douches in the 90s.

• Alisha
        April 3, 2015 at 10:32 am — Reply

I wasn’t. But to be fair, I come from middle-of-nowhere farm town and we only just got the 90’s in 2005. Currently everyone is worrying about that Y2K thingie.

2. April 2, 2015 at 11:55 am — Reply

Im decent at European football (the one you actually play mainly with feet) but if theres one type of games I always win my friends at, its any kind of 1 vs 1 fighting video game, like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.

• Alisha
      April 2, 2015 at 12:58 pm — Reply

That is why I quit playing those games long ago (for the most part, though I still occasionally try new ones a friend gets or those that have a nostalgic factor) since I kept winning all the time (even with “weak” characters). Though I’m getting more optimistic with newer games for newer systems as they add more complexity and more mechanics rather than just “hit three buttons over and over”.

3. Clubberlang6
    April 2, 2015 at 11:59 am — Reply

I was good at that sega Evander Holyfield championship boxing game

4. Alisha
    April 2, 2015 at 12:45 pm — Reply

If it has anything to do with catching/breeding/taming/making from CDs/etc. monsters, then I’m great at it. I can’t have a real monster as a pet (at least until science finally stops trying to make more ED medication or smaller iPods and starts to clone little creatures that nature never intended), so this is the next best thing. There is a reason my avatar is a version of a Digivice, after all (aside from the fact I really like Digimon). I’ll spend days (or sometimes even weeks or months) trying to get just the right monster to train up just so, and even in the event I cannot (such as online games where getting the best requires cash shop purchases), I’ll work my butt off to make the monster I have the best it can be (which is sometimes as simple as learning how to take advantage of it’s strengths and weaknesses).

I’m also undefeated in Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.

And I also do fairly well at tactical style games (Pokemon Conquest, the Fire Emblem series, etc.), both as video games and miniature figure games.

5. TheWolverine
    April 2, 2015 at 1:27 pm — Reply

Racing games & FPS games.

6. Frederick, aka Darth Macho
    April 2, 2015 at 2:26 pm — Reply

Over the years, there have been several video games that I couldn’t find anyone that could beat me, at least not consistently. They are Atari 2600’s Warlords (1980), WWF Wrestlemania (1989) for NES, and Super Nintendo’s original Super Mario Kart (1992).

7. Kirby
    April 2, 2015 at 4:55 pm — Reply

I’ve got Super Mario Bros. 3 down to a science.