Welcome to this Inside the Autumnlands, a column focusing on the Image Comics series the Autumnlands written by: Kurt Busiek with art by Benjamin Dewey and colours by Jordie Bellaire. Every month we’ll read the current issue and ask Kurt Busiek some questions about the look. Now, onto issue #5!
Be aware that this column will contain SPOILERS for the specific issue and the Autumnlands series. If you are looking for this issue you can find it at your local comic book shop or on comixology
The Autumnlands #5: The conspirators make their move, but the Champion has a few surprises for them.
1. Sandorst the great horned owl stirs up a lot of trouble in this issue as a puppet of Goodfoot. Is his animal form indicative of wisdom or a deliberate play against that archetype?
2. Was Learoyd’s immunity to Sandorst’s Javv’s Bolt attack due to something technological that he brought over from his own world? Does it have anything to do with the markings we’ve seen on his skin in the past?
3. Would you state that deception is a strong theme in this issue? Goodfoot is betraying Sandorst and Seven-Scars, Learoyd is keeping his work secret from Dunstan and Gharta would seem to be leading Affa into more and more danger.
4. Are we ever going to get a chance to see some of the other great cities in the Autumnlands? Are they all suspended by magic?
5. How did Goodfoot get the wings in her cap?