Working at a comic shop, I had a lot of discussions with a lot of fans (as well as my opinionated co-workers) about who was and wasn’t a good artist, but few creators in recent years caused as much dissension as Mike Allred.  His stint on FF was utterly amazing, and it blew me away with its power as well as with loving tributes to the best work of ‘King’ Kirby, and his She-Hulk is surely on my list of top ten imaginary character crushes.  But for some reason, Mike’s work rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way for reasons I don’t understand, especially since it was pretty much concurrent with Humberto Ramos on Spider-Man, a creator whose style I find much more objectionable and problematic.  Still, art is in the eye of the beholder (or so Rod Serling would have me believe), which leads us to today’s entirely subjective query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) used to have issues explaining the late 80s art of Keith Giffen, but that has actually aged a great deal better than anyone could have expected, asking: What favorite creator do you find yourself defending (or wanting to defend) the most?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

The New 52: Futures End #48

Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe meet for the first time (this is no joke)

1. April 1, 2015 at 11:41 am — Reply

Chris Claremont. It’s become popular not just to hate on his newer work (which, let’s be fair, isn’t as good as he used to be) but to also dismiss his seminal X-run as garbage as well. No way. This man is the reason I wanted to become a writer, and recent events have me convinced that his stories taught me how to be a better person more than anything. Yes, he has his quirks & flaws, but “writes too many multi-dimensional women/minorities” is decidedly not one of them.

• April 1, 2015 at 1:12 pm — Reply

I’ve yet to see anything as engaging writing as Claremont did in 80’s X-Men in ongoing superhero comics, so until any modern writer can come up with regularly published run thats consistently even close as good as X-Men was for 16 years, haters can shut up.

• April 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm — Reply

Claremont’s X-men is the foundation Marvel built itself on for years! The soapy styled ‘family’ drama was copied within Marvel (and) at DC too across titles too numerous to mention. His inclusion of truly well written women characters who were key to great stories was certainly ahead of its time. If he was terrible, why have Phoenix and Days of Future Past been so regularly revisited since they were originally written?

2. Alisha
    April 1, 2015 at 12:38 pm — Reply

I WANT to defend Saban, but I just can’t do it. Honestly, there is no excuse for how bad Power Rangers Samurai and Megaforce were. You proved that yourself during your first run with Power Rangers, and while it wasn’t quite up to the production values of most of the Disney era, you still made some compelling stories. Thankfully, though, things are looking up with Dino Charge so far, which feels like it already has more depth than the last four seasons combined.

Oddly enough, I WILL defend former Power Rangers actors who do not want to return to the series due to various legit reasoning. For instance, quite a few more former cast members were invited to take part in the Super Megaforce finale’s Legendary Battle, but many refused. Many, many fans took the internet complaining (what a shocker, that!), but most of those that refused had valid reasons. A few are no longer actors and said it would have cost them more money to leave their current jobs for a week or so to go film short cameos (Saban wasn’t going to pay much), which makes sense to me. David Yost had a horrible experience behind the scenes, and I can’t blame him for not wanting to return. Yes, I would have liked to see more Legends, but I’m honestly thankful we got as many as we did.

3. Luis Dantas
    April 1, 2015 at 1:34 pm — Reply

If Editors count, then it is Jim Shooter.

4. Chris Zuga
    April 1, 2015 at 3:03 pm — Reply

Grant Morrison, he writes smarter than the audience he writes for often times. That isn’t a fault, just a commentary on the ever progressing stupefying of the public. Not his fault you don’t know what he is referencing in a story.